Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+23
one grain of grain
sammon
Thelittleemperor
Admin
Hapsburg
Goldstar
Nexus06
Verming2
Ardagor
Verming
The Revenant
revvaughan
jamesbond007
Kingmaker
Rozwi_Game10
Stuart Bailey
J Flower
Bearlord
Basileus
Deacon
the great unwashed
coffeedog14
MarkTurner26
27 posters

Game 10

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2568
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Game 10 - Page 2 Empty Re: Game 10

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:42 pm

Jason wrote:Should be fun Smile  Always think that in a new game I've learnt from my mistakes in other games so won't repeat them...and come up with a whole load of new mistakes to make Wink

No idea on the exact start date though, lets hope it's not too long into the month Smile (whist at the same time not wanting to stress Richard out by making it sound like I'm pressuring them into getting the game started!)

With benefit of hindsight I think mistakes I need to avoid in future are:

1) Turkish terror tactics .........they dont work and you can catch plague from chopped off heads.

2) Starting a blood feud with own elite troops & religious leaders can be a long term problem.

3) Failure to be properly guard against assassination can be a very short term problem.

4) Burning Venice to the ground.......it seems to upset a lot of art and culture lovers (and they were probably were not responsible for 2)

5) Trying to play a position (twice) in the Polish Commonwealth.

6) Not having a garrison in Havana when Blackbeard is active.

7) Calling the Queen of Spain a whore.

Cool Trusting the English, Persians, Russians, Prussians, Ottoman Sultan, Ottoman Egypt, Great Moghul, Dutch, HWIC etc not to drop out after you have come to their aid and leave you to fight their war on your own.

Finally my greatest and most expensive mistake..........free school dinners.

Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Number of posts : 661
    Registration date : 2015-08-15

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:52 am

Mistakes:

Introducing a form of Health and Safety Executive, with Building Regulations as their number one priority.

My Savoyan nobles didn't like it when the riff-raff arrived unannounced and traipsed all around their property, telling their social betters how to better run their homes.

As the Duke, I sort-of fixed the nobilities issues with the regulating office - I made all house calls by appointment only. I was only trying to resolve fire hazards before disaster struck.

Big mistake I made as Blackbeard. I didn't play devious enough and roleplayed the position using secondary characters, who inveigled their way into the Jamaican society. Blackbeard being scarcely used; either at sea on piracy patrol, or in his harem [his unofficial wife and mother of his child not being a member of].
    Kingmaker
    Kingmaker
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 1673
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by Kingmaker Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:42 pm

Stuart Bailey wrote:
    Jason wrote:Should be fun Smile  Always think that in a new game I've learnt from my mistakes in other games so won't repeat them...and come up with a whole load of new mistakes to make Wink

No idea on the exact start date though, lets hope it's not too long into the month Smile (whist at the same time not wanting to stress Richard out by making it sound like I'm pressuring them into getting the game started!)

4) Burning Venice to the ground.......it seems to upset a lot of art and culture lovers (and they were probably were not responsible for 2)

I can clam both of these especially Havana BB found it quite amusing there was no troops there and thoroughly enjoyed him self, as to Venice I paid for the reconstruction my self as Russia I think.....
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2568
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:48 pm

Kingmaker wrote:
    Stuart Bailey wrote:

I can clam both of these especially Havana BB found it quite amusing there was no troops there and thoroughly enjoyed him self, as to Venice I paid for the reconstruction my self as Russia I think.....

Never did work out how/why Russia got part of Venice........trying to wipe it off the map was almost as trying as trying to wipe out the Jannissary Corp. Both were like trying to kill a Hydra and Agema kept throwing blockages in the way.

Actually the sack of Venice I was referring too was not the total distruction of the city and replace it with Ottoman Trieste as major port on upper Adriatic which you rebuilt (why?) but the first rather minor one when G2 Rumelia grabbed Venice as a bargaining counter to help get the French out of Egypt and the Ottoman Empire.

Only for France, Spain, Genoa, Ireland, L-C & Portugal to declare war rather than accept the civilized swap on offer. My have been a bit of a diplomatic misjudgement!

Havanna was just plain nasty.........Spanish players started game able to place forces in five places each.........after Spain, Naples, Milan, Flanders, America's & Manila. Cuba & African colonies were always liable to be down the list.

And after you plundered by warehouses in Havanna & nicked all the Rum..........what do you do to my Archbishop???????

Nicking a chaps Rum & his Archbishop now low can you go?

NOTE for anyone who wants to play a pirate..........If Richard Offers you Blackbeard & the good Ship Revenge in G7......before you accept you may like to ask about a) Outstanding Warrants........Spanish, Portugese, English & French & b) Price on head......£60,000 and probably a Knighthood.

Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 458
    Registration date : 2011-07-01

Post by Basileus Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:12 pm

I asked Richard when game 10 would be starting. He said that there had been a couple of late applicants so he expected around the middle of September Very Happy

Post by Guest Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:36 pm

Thanks for the update Basileus Smile

Gives me more time to plan...

Post by Guest Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:32 pm

..and so it begins...
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Basileus Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:40 pm

Woof
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:03 am

Have the emailed game turns been sent out, then?

I'm a snail mail player, so I'll be pestering the postie till it arrives
    the great unwashed
    the great unwashed
    Viscount
    Viscount

Number of posts : 176
    Registration date : 2010-08-15

Post by the great unwashed Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:12 am

Arrived yesterday. You'll probably have yours tomorrow.
    Good luck to all and have fun.
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:14 am

Cheers for the info.

I'm now off to haunt the front window and be twitching at the curtains, watching for the post lady
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Number of posts : 621
    Registration date : 2009-04-07

Post by jamesbond007 Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:26 pm

I am a mail player too. I love covering the floor with papers and spending good time with a few cups of tea working it all out. Sitting by my computer looking at a monitor and constantly scrolling does not hold the same appeal to me. We usually get our mail turn the next day. Sometimes even the same day. Playing by email would be less fun for me personally.
    the great unwashed
    the great unwashed
    Viscount
    Viscount

Number of posts : 176
    Registration date : 2010-08-15

Post by the great unwashed Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:27 pm

I get my turns sent via Email but then I print everything, work off paper and return my orders via Royal Mail. Have never liked working from a screen and right now my desk looks like your floor except my poison is coffee.
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Number of posts : 621
    Registration date : 2009-04-07

Post by jamesbond007 Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:33 pm

Print every sheet off. Wow, bet you go through the paper.

If i spend too much time on the computer, i tend to get hot. Tired eyes. Hence would not like to play by email. Playing in a few games paper wise and inks would be expensive printing them all off i would suspect.

I recieve and send my turns useing Royal Mail.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:10 am

Wow. All you luddites! Shocked

I think email is vastly preferable. You can use the computer to search through past turns, archive them so you can access them from anywhere (for those of us who travel at times), search within turns to make sure you aren't missing something.

And then if you must, you can always print.

MarkTurner26
    MarkTurner26
    Marquess
    Marquess

Number of posts : 260
    Registration date : 2012-11-03

Post by MarkTurner26 Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:11 am

I went through periods where first I wrote through mail then typed up a turn along with letters then sent it off, now I just email it actually gives me more time because we who use email actually get to send the stuff in the day before.

Although I did quite enjoy reading back my turn on paper.
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:23 pm

Hmm, mine hasn't arrived yet [through the post].

I hope the next turn deadline isn't too soon?

MarkTurner26
    MarkTurner26
    Marquess
    Marquess

Post by MarkTurner26 Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:36 pm

No problem, you have until October at any rate, so plenty of time

Post by Guest Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:41 pm

So, anyone got any thoughts so far?  Obviously I realise nothing has actually happened yet Smile but (without giving too much away of course), how did you find your setup turns?  Was your nation/position what you expected?  Is your position in a worse state (or better) than you expected?

For myself, I found mine (Scotland) better than I had expected, militarily and financially...though of course I still need to do a lot of work on both fronts Smile Even the 'bad' news from New Caledonia has a lot of a silver lining I suspect-might mean I need to smooth a few ruffled feathers among Scottish society but means I don't have any colonial distractions so can focus on Scotland...and not have to worry about a colonial war with Spain Wink

Oh, Rozwi, return date is 2nd October so plenty of time Smile
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:45 pm

Jason wrote:
    Oh, Rozwi, return date is 2nd October so plenty of time Smile

Thank you.

Hoping it arrives tomorrow, then. As that'll give me 8 days (maximum) before postage deadline for 1st Class.

I'll provide some starting info. on the 'southern' African position (units, bases etc., in comparison to a European game position) when I can.
    MarkTurner26
    MarkTurner26
    Marquess
    Marquess

Post by MarkTurner26 Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:38 pm

Having played Persia before it was nice to see some of my own home made characters on there. It was also good to see an accurate Persian military in place. At game start, now its time to see if my ambitions for Persia will be realised.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:12 pm

Mine is about what I expected.

I'm going to experiment a bit with this game. Since the position is smaller, I'm going to try to be more minimalist in orders and see what I can accomplish without breaking the bank.
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Basileus Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:32 pm

Hi Deacon, I'm sure its possible to achieve that, most of my turns come in on the £9 these days. I just stop myself from asking for everything I want that turn and plan a bit. By the way - because nothing has started yet - may I say France is open for trade with all nations and happy to welcome your embassies at Versailles.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:21 am

I've gotten much better about managing turn costs over the years. Richard still gets my money, I just get to play in more games for it Smile

In the rules, Richard does remind people that it takes time to get things done in this period, so I've gotten better at not trying to get everything accomplished on one turn.

Particularly with the smaller positions, building them up is the work of game years, so patience helps. I just am not that good at being patient!

I had wanted richard to do a turbo-game, where each turn is a season rather than a month. I think it would fun and more than a bit crazy.
    MarkTurner26
    MarkTurner26
    Marquess
    Marquess

Post by MarkTurner26 Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:00 am

Having Gm'd games that have that progress one season a turn can get quite complicated, because you get contingency orders and the like. It can get quite hectic. I run one a whole back called fields of glory set in the 17th century.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 10:26 am