Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+23
one grain of grain
sammon
Thelittleemperor
Admin
Hapsburg
Goldstar
Nexus06
Verming2
Ardagor
Verming
The Revenant
revvaughan
jamesbond007
Kingmaker
Rozwi_Game10
Stuart Bailey
J Flower
Bearlord
Basileus
Deacon
the great unwashed
coffeedog14
MarkTurner26
27 posters

Game 10

Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Game 10 - Page 21 Empty Re: Game 10

Post by Deacon Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:32 pm

The Real Louis wrote:Dear oh dear, you chaps do a LOT of research - and it always makes good reading/inspiration.  Keep up the good work!

We collectively do. But don't let it intimidate you. Just steal it and use it yourself. Theft is the sincerest form of flattery or something.

I am planning to rip off Stuart big time.
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Number of posts : 661
    Registration date : 2015-08-15

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:26 pm

You can't accuse me of researching for my position ... I'm making it up as I go along! tongue

Though I do worry about the chaps on this forum who do know so much about the history of the game's period. They're far too knowledgeable for my liking, how am I meant to pull the wool over their eyes in the game?!

"No, it isn't a shaved monkey with its legs sewn together. It is a mermaid ... honest. Two gold and its yours!"

Post by Guest Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:24 pm

I think it depends on the position you're playing. If you're a European power there are so many records and resources you can easily research and recreate a nation very accurately...in some cases most probably down to the level of being able to name every private in a regiment and who was the clerk in a small parish in the middle of nowhere

Playing China and it's a struggle to find out accurate regimental and army names...let alone governor names

Playing the Rozwi and you're lucky to find anything that even mentions them!
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2568
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:44 pm

Jason wrote:If you want to know about how to get off piracy charges in court, you just need to look at someone like Robert Davidson, Provost of Aberdeen back in 15th Century.  Now there was a man who knew how to win over a court Wink

Ref the October 1701 Mercurius Politicus clearly the people who are going to need top notch Scots Lawyers to get them off Piracy Charges are Admiral Elmo & the Venetian Armada Grossa after the armed capture of the "San Giorgio"........or have I missed a declaration of war by Venice on Genoa?

Wonder if the sudden rise of the Lord President of Scotland up the honour list is less to do with his Oratory Skills and more to do with people above him facing Piracy Charges or saying they are true friends and allies of said Pirates?

Also wonder if following the act of war/piracy by Venice against Genoa ..........the Republic of Saint George will react to this outrage and call for allied help/issue letters of Marque.bom

Oh for good old days of G2 when the only good Venetian was a dead Venetian and profit margins could be increased by sale of Ship, Cargo and the Crew in North African Slave Marts.  Some how I doubt if Genoan Letters of Marque will allow the sale of POWs to the Ottomans.  Bet the Doge of Genoa will even expect them to be feed as well Crying or Very sad

Its a tough life trying to earn a honest crust and play within the rules as a Privateer.........bit like playing a Pirate Position with one sometimes two hands tied behind your back.

Post by Guest Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:53 pm

*looks at jumps in honour score*, no, no, Scotland's rise is down to my brilliance and not others own actions.

Oh Stuart, I think you have a guilty conscience...I have always said I will not allow anyone to do pirate-y things in Scottish waters-if they do, they are pirates...never accused anyone by name of being a pirate...yet you are always defending yourself saying you're not a pirate...come clean, stop hiding it...come out and say it, "I'm a Pirate and Proud"...we'll throw you a parade through the streets of Leith...
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:54 pm

Jason wrote:I think it depends on the position you're playing.  If you're a European power there are so many records and resources you can easily research and recreate a nation very accurately...in some cases most probably down to the level of being able to name every private in a regiment and who was the clerk in a small parish in the middle of nowhere

Playing China and it's a struggle to find out accurate regimental and army names...let alone governor names

A possible sign that you may be getting a bit too involved with researching a position is when you go on holiday with a girlfriend to a location you have picked at "random"........take her off on a trip to look at a interesting palace.......and refer to it as yours!.......BUSTED pale

Anyone from Yorkshire planning any random "Safari Holidays" or trips to Greenland by any chance?

Post by Guest Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:02 pm

Stuart Bailey wrote:
    Jason wrote:I think it depends on the position you're playing.  If you're a European power there are so many records and resources you can easily research and recreate a nation very accurately...in some cases most probably down to the level of being able to name every private in a regiment and who was the clerk in a small parish in the middle of nowhere

A possible sign that you may be getting a bit too involved with researching a position is when you go on holiday with a girlfriend to a location you have picked at "random"........take her off on a trip to look at a interesting palace.......and refer to it as yours!.......BUSTED pale

Anyone from Yorkshire planning any random "Safari Holidays" or trips to Greenland by any chance?

Well, my other half is a marine biologist who spent 6 months doing research on the icesheets of Greenland...and got annoyed that none of the Polar bears got close enough to be her for them to be a threat so she would be allowed to shoot them! Me claiming anything as mine in comparison is minor Wink Mind you, heading south to Auld Reekie next week for a pub session, so think that counts as research Wink
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:16 pm

Jason wrote:*looks at jumps in honour score*, no, no, Scotland's rise is down to my brilliance and not others own actions.

Oh Stuart, I think you have a guilty conscience...I have always said I will not allow anyone to do pirate-y things in Scottish waters-if they do, they are pirates...never accused anyone by name of being a pirate...yet you are always defending yourself saying you're not a pirate...come clean, stop hiding it...come out and say it, "I'm a Pirate and Proud"...we'll throw you a parade through the streets of Leith...

Agggggggggggghhhhhhh My poor Character in G10 is so misunderstood!  He is a Corsair not a Pirate and is probably puts more effort into following the legal technicalities circa 1700 than most Governments.

However for the enjoyment of the Jason's (x2) who seem to believe it goes against my roll playing DNA to play a nice, gentile honourable position without strain  here is a letter which shows Charles Von Hapsburg in G7 may be starting to crack.  But at least he is giving fair warning of "Roman Candles"!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

An Open letter to the Nobility & Estates of the Kingdom of Hungary - From Charles Von Hapsburg (King of Spain & Naples, Duke of Milan & Flanders, Prince of the Royal House of Hungary)

I read with interest and growing bile the declaration from Kiev.  If Rakoczi has raised plundering cossacks & other troops and they are on the march it is really, really bad timing.  Middle of Winter for starters plus the House of Hapsburg has just made peace with France, Russia and the Jacobites.

What type of gutless coward raises the standard of revolt beside a nice war fire in Kiev yet expects men to fight and die for him in the Mountain Snow?

Speaking as number four in line to the Crowns of Hungary, Bohemia and Croatia my reply to the Kiev declaration is simple…...NO SURRENDER, NO TALKS WITH TRAITORS. Hungary becomes an elected Monarchy & the Crown losses its right to appoint loyal Germans, Croats, Serb’s Bohemians, Slovines, Transylvannians & Jesuits over my dead body.  Actually, most of the dead bodies will be rebels impaled, coated in tar and set on fire before they expire to light up the price of treason.

Would also like to point out that the main Hapsburg Army in France is not lost its pulling back to Barcelona (Centre for grain trade, Major Arsenal City & Port about two months sail from the Adriatic Ports of the Kingdom of Hungary) having defeated a French Field Army and taking two major fortresses.  The only Army I “lost” has now been found again in Stockport having taken a left at Nottingham in error.

Loyalists of the Kingdom stand firm in your loyalty to your most Noble King, my father.  Stand firm for Catholic Marriage and for Catholic Education and do not allow the Kingdom to be dragged once more under the Ottoman Yoke by traitors to their King, to the true faith & to the people.  Know also that you are not alone in your brave & noble struggle to bar the gates to the heartlands of the Empire to the hordes.

LONG LIVE HUNGARY! LONG LIVE THE KING-EMPEROR!! LONG LIVE THE CATHOLIC CAUSE……. & DEATH AND DAMNATION TO THE TRAITOR RAKOCZI & ALL THE BANDITS WHO RIDE WITH HIM!!!  

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited by Stuart Bailey on Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : G numbers mixedup)

Post by Guest Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:33 pm

I think Stuart's guilty conscience is coming out...he keeps referring to G9...his guilt in his crimes is so great he is confused in which game he is a pirate and most definitely not a privateer...

Also, he is now up against 2 Jasons...does he not know that Jasons Combined are like a Smith and Weston...they beat 4 aces...
    revvaughan
    revvaughan
    King
    King

Number of posts : 778
    Registration date : 2008-07-15

Post by revvaughan Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:42 am

Then there is that Yankee pistol packing parson that must be Winchester!
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:39 am

Jason wrote:Playing the Rozwi and you're lucky to find anything that even mentions them!

Funnily enough I've found more and more info on the Rozvi / Rozwi of late on the Internet. Definitely the pages weren't there two years ago when Game 10 started, but over the last few months somebody has been updating information found on the Web on the tribe.

Stuart Bailey wrote:Anyone from Yorkshire planning any random "Safari Holidays" or trips to Greenland by any chance?

Nope. Travelling abroad any my dodgy guts don't mix. Sickness and Diarrhoea are the only things I'd be experiencing, and I don't fancy researching dysentery.

One of the benefits of having a Swashbuckler character from the area you're actually from, and playing in locations close to your home is it really cuts down the need for historic research. Wink
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:12 pm

Jason wrote:I think Stuart's guilty conscience is coming out...he keeps referring to G9...his guilt in his crimes is so great he is confused in which game he is a pirate and most definitely not a privateer...

Also, he is now up against 2 Jasons...does he not know that Jasons Combined are like a Smith and Weston...they beat 4 aces...

G numbers sorted out Very Happy

For info I considered playing a Wako in one game but have never played a actual pirate position. Characters in Agema games inc

1) A overworked & underpaid Ottoman Civil Servent
    2) A elderly Catholic Priest
    3) A Byzantine Noble loyal to his Emperor
    4) A Honest Merchant type with an interest in trains & cricket.
    5) The pious & holy Shah of Persia.

Perhaps if the Roman Game ever starts I should take a Gothic or Vandal Pirate? And race the other Jason to burn Rome Down?
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:00 am

I played pirates twice, but not for very long. My vision was a bit too grand for the realities of the position and I ended up frustrated.

Non-state positions can be a pain to play because you don't have the built in advantage of a treasury. Everything you want to spend on takes a lot more effort if you're not doing it all in just one place.

Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:03 am

Jason wrote:
    Well, my other half is a marine biologist who spent 6 months doing research on the icesheets of Greenland...and got annoyed that none of the Polar bears got close enough to be her for them to be a threat so she would be allowed to shoot them!  Me claiming anything as mine in comparison is minor ;)  Mind you, heading south to Auld Reekie next week for a pub session, so think that counts as research ;)

My wife is a gamer too, so I talk about my positions to her and she doesn't mind. We do a fair bit of tabletop roleplaying games in addition to computer games and I've got her playing with me in Regime Change.  So, from time to time, we've both decided we wanted to go off and see something that featured in one of our games. I can talk about portuguese stuff being "mine" without her thinking I'm a weirdo.
    revvaughan
    revvaughan
    King
    King

Number of posts : 778
    Registration date : 2008-07-15

Post by revvaughan Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:20 pm

My wife looks at me like I am insane most of the time when I have maps rolled out in my study. She could be right!

She hates vacations that turn into battlefield tours for my American Civil War gaming addiction. www.holf.org
    Hapsburg
    Viscount
    Viscount

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2008-06-20

Post by Hapsburg Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:18 pm

I have maps on tables too. I'm now on a campsite near Venice and have brought my turns with me lol. Just in case my turn arrives before we leave
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:25 pm

Hapsburg wrote:I have maps on tables too. I'm now on a campsite near Venice and have brought my turns with me lol. Just in case my turn arrives before we leave

The one thing I can do to really annoy my wife is when my turn arrives in email when we're out, and I then completely ignore her to attempt to read the key bits on my phone. I do it anyway, because duh, game turn!
    Hapsburg
    Viscount
    Viscount

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2008-06-20

Post by Hapsburg Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:32 am

Visited the Doge's palace in Venice yesterday with the family. I enjoyed it more than my teenage son lol. Emperor Leopold should arrive there this turn if All goes well!
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 458
    Registration date : 2011-07-01

Post by Basileus Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:46 am

I was bowled over by Venice when I saw it. Did you see the carving of the four emperors as a cornerstone. Amazing city.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:27 am

As a sidenote on in-game research, most of what I do is just google. There is a lot of stuff that is pretty easy to access.
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:50 am

And half of my ideas for the Rozwi have come from reading Wilbur Smith lol! (those Egyptian books of his work a treat for C18th Africa!)

Post by Guest Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:44 pm

Must admit, my Lord Fong character in G9 is partly based on Lord Hong in Terry Pratchett's "Interesting Times" Very Happy

Post by Guest Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:15 am

The Holy Roman Emperor? Coming to visit us in Venice!?

As loyal servants we shall welcome him with all the pomp and ceremony his status requires!

Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:59 pm

Turn has dropped.

Looks like Europe takes another step closer to war with the war rhetoric. I need more popcorn to read my paper!

Post by Guest Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:58 pm

In from work and reading through turn with a (good Scottish) beer in hand...

Think Deacon is right...someone pass the popcorn...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 3:57 am