Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+23
one grain of grain
sammon
Thelittleemperor
Admin
Hapsburg
Goldstar
Nexus06
Verming2
Ardagor
Verming
The Revenant
revvaughan
jamesbond007
Kingmaker
Rozwi_Game10
Stuart Bailey
J Flower
Bearlord
Basileus
Deacon
the great unwashed
coffeedog14
MarkTurner26
27 posters

Game 10

J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

Game 10 - Page 39 Empty Re: Game 10

Post by J Flower Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:28 pm

I think you may find invading a smaller country Can, not always but sometimes , it can cause an honour slip, seem to remember reading it somewhere in the rules. Maybe it was the lack of build up to the actions that have occured.

Looks like we may have a man in Rome who is prepared to mediate over the Spanish succession, wonder if that means Little Phillip has a chance of getting all his desires, seems the Spanish Cortez don't want to touch him with a smelly stick! Is Portugal poised to take the throne away & kick him out of Flanders as well.

Afterall, the third Partition treaty signed bY KING LOIUS of France put the Hapsburg claim first wonder if that technically makes the attack & occupation of Flanders a breach of the treaty?Certainly an attack on Hapsburg honour.

Sure the Pope will sort it out, afterall there are a few Papal fiefdoms occupied as well in Italy I wonder what he will have to say about that as well.

Will the new Popes first set of orders include raising a Fire Brigade for Rome?

Hurrah for little Tuscany they frightened off the big French Corsair ship with a few nasty words exchanged.

Is Loius now also King of Spain seems the men from Savoy are taking over Italian duchies in his name as well now, so will Phillip end up in a civil war over who will challenge John of Brazil as next king in Spain. Isn't that another Papal duchy they are snatching up, oh dear Mister Papal Eminence looks like your being invaded on your first turn, Can Savoy reckon with Excommuinication by the end of the year.

Ah, the joys of being a Protestant position.

Post by Guest Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:27 pm

I'm going to be honest, it's been some time since I've opened a Glory turn, looked at the paper and gone WTF but the news from Lvov Very Happy

And now the Pope decides to intervene...this is going to be FUN...excuse me I'm off to buy more whisky and tunnock teacakes...
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:17 pm

WTF= Whats the Fuss?

Maybe we can start a sweep stake on the first Catholic ruler to get excommunicated.

Post by Guest Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:21 pm

I'm just off to find my book of John Knox quotations, to make the Pope feel at home Wink
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2568
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:50 pm

Interesting turn in G10, wonder if the Czar and the East Bank Cossacks or the Ottoman Sultan who's lesser titles include Protector of the Cossacks (odd but true) will feel the need to come to the help of the poor oppressed Othodox Cossacks on the West Bank?????

Only problem is a Russia V Poland over influence in the Ukraine is sod all use to a Naval Mercenary type. Might be a bit better if its Poland v Ottomans since then I could sign up with the Poles.

Job opportunities may however be looking better in the West since if the Hapsburg & Bourbon families in G10 play in a half way historic manner:

- Hapsburgs and Bourbons would never accept the Pope putting his oar in like this on a family inheritence matter. Pope may have a claim to be the overlord of Naples, but Sardinia & Sicily were part of the Kingdom of Aragon and then the united Kingdom of Spain for hundreds of years before he the King & Queen of Spain also became the same for Naples.

- The King of Portugal has NO CLAIM at all to the throne of Spain. In fact most Spanish Nobles at this period do not even think he has a claim to the throne of Portugal and still view it as a rebel province. Due to the fact the in 1640 Portugal rebelled against its legitimate monarch (who was also the King of Spain) lead by a cedet (read not legitinate branch of the Royal Family).

Odd how the locals in Madrid seemingly do not a care about High Treason charges and usurping the rights of the legitimate King. The way Richard is playing the Royal Council in Madrid and also hammering French Honour every time they seem a bit easy going I wonder if he is trying to force the Bourbon Family to take military action and seem a bit tough????

My very minor and not very important character in G10 even offered to help France gain a bit of respect by burning a couple of places down to be bed rock and smashing a Bavarian Army Corp into a blood pulp if the King of France gives me an Army command but Louis is still determind to let the Emperor launch the first attack and start the war. Perhaps if the King of Portugal usurpers the throne of Spain my luck will change and I will get to fly the bloody flag? - The nice red one with the whole death holding a cutlass and a bottle or rum?

Post by Guest Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:13 am

Ahhh, but the Portuguese claim is now back by the incredibly honourable, have nothing to gain, and have never been accused of piracy, Scottish government...who cares what the antichrist in Rome thinks, with such backing, surely the King of Portugal is King of Spain...

...now excuse me, I have to test these new cannons that can fire tunnocks tea cakes and cans of irn-bru three miles out to sea...and I really need to finish that new gallows at the dockside at Leith...
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:45 am

Jason wrote:Ahhh, but the Portuguese claim is now back by the incredibly honourable, have nothing to gain, and have never been accused of piracy, Scottish government...who cares what the antichrist in Rome thinks, with such backing, surely the King of Portugal is King of Spain...

...now excuse me, I have to test these new cannons that can fire tunnocks tea cakes and cans of irn-bru three miles out to sea...and I really need to finish that new gallows at the dockside at Leith...

Much as I am sure that anyone who wanted to claim the Kingdom of Spain would welcome the support of the incredibly honourable, nothing to gain, never been accused or piracy, Scottish Government.  I think it helps more to actually have a claim to be related and a heir to the last King of Spain!

Since no one is claiming that King Pedro II of Portugal surname is Hapsburg or even Bourbon or that he is the son or some other close relative of Carlos II.  I think the Scots Government lawyers need to do a bit more work on this case........what about a 40 year old treaty which makes Pedro heir to Carlos II being located in Scots Government papers? (Pity ink is still wet).

Wonder if we will now see the Royal Houses of Hapsburg & Bourbon having to unite to defend the rights of the legitimate Catholic Heir's (Phlip of Anjou & Charles von Hapsburg) against third party Portugese and Wittlesbach intruders?

Perhaps the Hapsburg/Bourbon inheritence talks should also include what to do about Carlos II legitimate claim to the throne of Portugal as well?Twisted Evil

PS I think I am going to enjoy being on the right side of the law........Nice new letters of Marque with the Royal Bourbon Seal, plump rich Galleon's and jucy colonial Ports.......happy days are here again Very Happy
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:11 pm

My experience with Glory non-player characters is that even town rat catchers are proud. You need to suck up to, and bribe, nearly everyone.

Add that to the game history where neither France nor Austria have really pushed for the Spanish throne, and I think you have a situation like today’s playing out.

Phillipe isn’t doing the romancing he needs to do because he think he’s got it in the bag. The funny part is, I think if he did proper romancing of the Spanish nobles, he would have been a shoe-in. It may still be possible, but after ignoring the throne for so long, those nobles need to feel the love.

Pedro has no real claim upon the throne, but then both candidates who do haven’t really been going after it. Pedro could sweep in and take it by just romancing the hell out of the Spanish, I think.

It does have the added benefit of being a compromise candidate. To date, it seems France and Austria are mostly concerned with taking pieces off Spain which I can tell you the Spanish nobles hate. A candidate that appears mostly concerned with holding the empire together and ruling well would be a welcome change to them and I think they might well be inclined to forget that it’s the disobedient younger brother who won independence a few decades ago…
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:53 am

I thought when Louis signed the Partition treaty it was all sorted out, since then Loius has been trying to force feed the Spanish Empire ( minus a few colonies & Italian duchies) Leopold has refused to swallow any of it.

So in effect both said "no we don't want anything"

It appears that the Buffet is still full, Ok some dodgey green bits smelling of garlic ahve been gobbled up by a certain Phillip when his grandfather wasn't looking. But in the main it is all still there, so it looks like John may take a seat at the table & get stuck in.

No one was actually interested in famine ravaged, economically on it's knees Spain, only in the shiney bits around the edges. Which maybe why the Spanish nobles were a bit peeved. along comes someone who is actually interested in Spain itself & people start to think they may not even get a doggy bag to take home.

As for it being unhistoric, we are playing in an alternative history game, we the players amke the history, I hear few cries of unhistoric when it comes to Schrapnel development which happened in the 1800s, or the huge usage of light infantry skimishers( another Napoleonic idea) If we draw a line in the sand between a pure historic game & alternative history then we may as well pack our bags & bin our turn papers now, because we would simply follow the course of history & not ahve a game at all. Yes, it can be frustrating to go away from the historical narrative but thats the whole point of the game.
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Number of posts : 661
    Registration date : 2015-08-15

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:20 am

Can Changamire Dombo be the next King of Spain, please?!

I'll take all of it ... and hand out bits of it like gifts at New Years. You want the recruits? Sure. You want the Asian bits? Sure. You want all the ships? Sure. What do I want? The money! Oh, and to convert you all to worshipping the Ancestral Spirits and the almighty Mwari. And I'll swap Spanish South/Central America for Portuguese East Africa elephant

Lovely jubbly.

New York - Paris - Peckham - Rozwi

J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:21 pm

Careful what you wish for, maybe some nice Dutch man will put your ideas in a letter to the Pope

Willing to swap Capetown for Flanders when you become king of Spain?

Post by Guest Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:35 pm

I am going to propose the joint Rozwi-Scottish regency again then! Edinburgh will look after the American and Far East holdings, while the Rozwi take care of the African outposts and the mother country.

Can't seen any objections to that drunken tongue
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:01 pm

Long live " His Most Uncatholic Majesty Changamire Dombo" King of Spain et al, "

Post by Guest Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:24 pm

Imagine the papal response...not sure which would be worse for the antichrist...Scots or Rozwi... Wink
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:28 pm

Look on the bright side. If the Scots and the Rowzi took over Spain, we could have a crusade and not even have to leave Europe!
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:42 pm

Well there is a strange tale doing the rounds, as gossip, while the goats are milked at Khami. That Changamire Dombo's antecedents were the rulers of Al-Andalus. So, with a quick trip to Mecca, first, there is a reason why he should be the next king! (honest jocolor )

Oh, and you still can have a European Crusade. Win win! Game 10 - Page 39 627167562

YES! Post 550. I am now rated as a King.
    See, even the Forum is backing my claim Laughing
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:45 pm

Jason wrote:I am going to propose the joint Rozwi-Scottish regency again then!  Edinburgh will look after the American and Far East holdings, while the Rozwi take care of the African outposts and the mother country.

Can't seen any objections to that drunken tongue

Since Rozwi-Scots claims seem every bit as strong as the claims of the Usurper Rodger the Dodger or the King of Portugal and a bunch of Nobles in Madrid seem happy to consider their claims I can not see any possible reason why Madrid should object to your claims.

Ref the alternative History.  I think that G10 is starting to show signs of what could have happened if in 1700 the Spanish Nobility does not take a grip and Crown one of the legitimate heirs or tries to get all creative with usurpers and miracle babies.............basically you end up with the inheritence of Carlos II breaking up into all its original bits!

At current rate someone is going to declare himself the true Inca and the Moors are going to reclaim Grenada and other bits.

Actually as the Inca claimed to be decended from children of the Sun God were does Changamire Dombo come in this line?

Post by Guest Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:50 pm

All this could make the Pope have a fit...and over Christmas too...

Just thinking, to keep Stuart happy, should we make part of the partition agreement that we start a war somewhere...there must be pirates off the East African coast we can send Stuart to go and fight...we could all give him a couple of corvettes so he has an international force to command...
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:27 pm

Jason wrote:...there must be pirates off the East African coast...

This is a joke, right?

"Underwater explorers in Madagascar say they have discovered treasure belonging to the notorious 17th-Century Scottish pirate William Kidd. A 50kg (7st 9lb) silver bar was brought to shore on Thursday on the island of Sainte Marie, from what is thought to be the wreck of the Adventure Galley."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-32621444

Post by Guest Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:13 pm

Rozwi_Game10 wrote:
    Jason wrote:...there must be pirates off the East African coast...

This is a joke, right?

"Underwater explorers in Madagascar say they have discovered treasure belonging to the notorious 17th-Century Scottish pirate William Kidd. A 50kg (7st 9lb) silver bar was brought to shore on Thursday on the island of Sainte Marie, from what is thought to be the wreck of the Adventure Galley."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-32621444

I was being humorous Wink
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:30 pm

Game 10 - Page 39 Scottish_pirate_flag_by_arokhrider-d28pco1

Beware Scottish vessels off Malagassy!

Laughing

...Hmm, I then googled "Yorkshire pirate", for a laugh, and got this. Not exactly fearsome, looking  cat (I'm a Yorkshire man)

Game 10 - Page 39 E58707b411e0f29dccbad9e7f45ea233--dog-costumes-halloween-costumes
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:34 pm

Could be a danger around the ankle department.
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:40 pm

Err... Just realised I've derailed the thread with my silliness Embarassed

Back to Game 10... Is there any links with the ousted King of England and a Spanish claim? James Stuart wants a throne, does he not? Spain wants someone to sit on their big chair. He's Catholic. Has Bourbon blood. Problem solved. Obviously he'd have to renounce the Scottish (and English) claims.

[Yes, I don't know what I'm talking about - hence the African position in TGOK - so feel free to point out why it won't work, as it'll educate me. Smile ]

Post by Guest Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:05 pm

Rozwi_Game10 wrote:Game 10 - Page 39 Scottish_pirate_flag_by_arokhrider-d28pco1

Beware Scottish vessels off Malagassy!

Laughing

...Hmm, I then googled "Yorkshire pirate", for a laugh, and got this. Not exactly fearsome, looking  cat (I'm a Yorkshire man)

Game 10 - Page 39 E58707b411e0f29dccbad9e7f45ea233--dog-costumes-halloween-costumes

Well, there is a long history of Scottish piracy, one that would make even Stuart proud Wink

A former Lord Provost of Aberdeen was quite the pirate, had a small fleet and even took a couple of ships that belonged to a Mr Whittington, Lord Mayor of London...whether the local story that one of the ships was called "The Cat" is true or not is open to debate Wink

Post by Guest Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:08 pm

Rozwi_Game10 wrote:Err... Just realised I've derailed the thread with my silliness Embarassed

Back to Game 10... Is there any links with the ousted King of England and a Spanish claim? James Stuart wants a throne, does he not? Spain wants someone to sit on their big chair. He's Catholic. Has Bourbon blood. Problem solved. Obviously he'd have to renounce the Scottish (and English) claims.

[Yes, I don't know what I'm talking about - hence the African position in TGOK - so feel free to point out why it won't work, as it'll educate me. Smile ]

In G3 the heir to the restored Stuart family ended up as King of Sweden...admittedly he did convert to the Protestant faith...but hey if that is possible, can't see why your idea is any wilder

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am