Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+27
Goldstar
mmcdhoward
HaroldB
Bearlord
MarkTurner26
one grain of grain
J Flower
Stuart Bailey
Mustang Shooting Stars
Basileus
The Hessian
Flanker79
baggins
Hammer of God
The Little Corporal
tek_604
jamesbond007
Moshe
Richard D. Watts
revvaughan
the great unwashed
Ardagor
count-de-monet
Deacon
Marshal Bombast
Kingmaker
Frank
31 posters

Game 8

Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 458
    Registration date : 2011-07-01

Game 8 - Page 17 Empty Re: Game 8

Post by Basileus Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:11 pm

Well I thought that it was time to bring a bit of piracy closer back to Europe Wink

Post by Guest Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:33 pm

Then let us see if the barbarians of Europe are as capable as the Centre of Civilisation when it comes to dealing with such things Wink

But I do worry for such simple folk, I mean, can they even sail? Very Happy

Post by Guest Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:49 pm

You do have to admire Burma and its rapid military success though!
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:02 pm

Well if you read the carte blanche supplement, it does say that Arrakan(sp?) is pretty weak in this period...

Post by Guest Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:59 am

Deacon wrote:
    Well if you read the carte blanche supplement, it does say that Arrakan(sp?) is pretty weak in this period...

I think that might be the one supplement I don't have...it's on the list for when I have a few pennies to spare Wink
    Ardagor
    Ardagor
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 427
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by Ardagor Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:02 pm

The Mediterranean pirates seems rather weak, six cruisers struggle to overwhelm one armed spanish merchantmen and two pirate ships suffered serious damage. Not exactly something to brag about.
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Basileus Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:16 pm

Agreed, but my position did start out with no ships at all, we all have to start somewhere Smile

Post by Guest Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:28 pm

Well, as long as you raid the Med and don't head east, good luck! Wink
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Basileus Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:05 am

Hi Jason, I will do my best to stay out of the Far East, I don't want to be fighting you in game 8 as well as game 7, that would be just too much. In fact, as a player( but not the country), I regret that we are at war in game 7. I will write to you in game about thisand send a letter Surprised Whereas, the war started because of player conflict rather than game/nation conflict. Which is intersting because you would have thoight that it could make it easier to resolve conflicts if the players change. The trouble is after so many years of fighting we start to build up entrenched positions. Is this the reason real wars are fought to catestrophic conclusions of mutual destruction and exhaustion, such as WW1? As players of a game shouldnt we be able to take a more detatched perspective? That was a general question, not just for Jason re game 7 scratch

Post by Guest Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:27 am

Ok, you won't raid in the far east, i won't start anti-piracy patrols in the Med Very Happy

It is an interesting question you raise and responding in a general sense Smile I have found in several positions I have played I have walked into tense relationships with certain other nations that whilst not at war with them, I was perhaps only one wrong word away from bloodshed. To use the first game I played in, G3, as an example, the Denmark I ruled had a very difficult relationship with Sweden as well as England (played by the same person) and frankly for the first 2 years it did seem we were not far from war. Luckily, the England/Sweden player was willing to risk things slightly when I tried to friendly approach, and if anything (despite some setbacks) we ended up amazingly firm friends and allies.

I think it does require a certain degree of willingness to embrace risk on both sides when a new player comes into a situation like this but if both players are reasonable (which lets be honest, Glory players are) it is possible to resolve and overcome previous issues and even get peace. Perhaps the biggest problem can be "NCP inertia" (for lack of a better phrase right now), Louis has commented a lot where he talks of the reactions of his nobles. Two players may with the best will in the world decide that as one of them is new to resolve previous agruments and start with a fresh slate but if their nobles, generals, subjects really object, could they fail? In G6 (I think it was) I played England for a while and started to a good friendship with France. Now in England this was viewed favourably or at least not negatively but I think the French player found internal resistance and might even have lost some honour as a result.

I might a bit later just post a bit of general info in the G7 thread about the character I am playing that might answer your question in a safe but game specific way Smile

Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Basileus Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:23 pm

Look forward to seeing it Jason. But what if you retired from France and old Louis came back affraid Returned from his temporary ill health affraid It just doesnt bear thinking about pale
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Number of posts : 621
    Registration date : 2009-04-07

Post by jamesbond007 Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:41 pm

Wow. What about the rules on in-game diplomacy? you two have just blown them right out of the window. Clear in-game diplomacy.Even doing deals now. If that does not warrent a warning from Richard and the Kingmaker, nothing will.

Post by Guest Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:10 pm

Don't worry JB, I think China promising not to send a fleet into the Med to hunt for pirates can be seen in the light of a comical declaration rather than anything serious Smile

Post by Guest Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:14 pm

It also seems we have UFOs over China...or is it just another sign of the superiority of the Empire, Centre of Civilisation, over the Barbarian Ghosts of Europe? Wink
    Ardagor
    Ardagor
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 427

Post by Ardagor Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:20 pm

No UFOs, we know what they are...

Post by Guest Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 pm

I'm almost certain I know what they are Wink Just another sign of the superiority of the Eternal Empire over the barbarians Very Happy
    the great unwashed
    the great unwashed
    Viscount
    Viscount

Number of posts : 176
    Registration date : 2010-08-15

Post by the great unwashed Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:52 pm

I take it no-one has heard from the French. It does make for an unusual game.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:56 pm

the great unwashed wrote:I take it no-one has heard from the French. It does make for an unusual game.

All we know is that they're in play. They've answered no one's correspondence (at least according to the several folks I've spoken to). Not sure why somebody would want to take France and then play isolationist. If you wanted to do that, why not one of the ottoman states, one of the far east smaller states, Japan, a chinese province all could play isolationist without much effort.

They didn't even seem to respond when a couple of the protestant states made off with a bunch of their protestant subjects.
    the great unwashed
    the great unwashed
    Viscount
    Viscount

Number of posts : 176
    Registration date : 2010-08-15

Post by the great unwashed Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:21 pm

Sometimes i wonder if French inaction is acting as a brake on the game's development. From across the Med, It seems as if many are waiting to see what the French will do before committing themselves to Foreign ventures.
    An understanding of the French state's attitude to its protestant subjects at the time might explain the lack of response to the departure of the Camisards. Louis might just be glad to be rid of them.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:28 pm

the great unwashed wrote:Sometimes i wonder if French inaction is acting as a brake on the game's development. From across the Med, It seems as if many are waiting to see what the French will do before committing themselves to Foreign ventures.
    An understanding of the French state's attitude to its protestant subjects at the time might explain the lack of response to the departure of the Camisards. Louis might just be glad to be rid of them.

Perhaps, but he was actually offered money for them early on (offer showed up in the paper as I recall), and as far as I know didn't even respond to that.

I guess time will tell how things play out, but I think it would make for a more interesting game if we had an engaged France.

count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 379

Post by count-de-monet Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:27 am

Has anyone ever seen a player play France successfully ? Remaining the strongest power and even growing ? Across the worlds I have encountered and through the threads on this board I have seen quite a few nations (Russia, England, Austria, Prussia) grow and grow in dominance but never France. In fact France ALWAYS seems to be one major headache. Feared and envied in equal measure at the start of games it is a thankless role.

I understand how it seems to be holding up the game dynamics a bit, but as a French player first and foremost it could be an approach that keeps France as the dominance force. If the French ruler believes revenues, tax and trade continue to grow, he is funding infrastructure and military development, getting rid of any internal problems it could be a master stroke

Post by Guest Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:31 pm

I think in Game 6 France when played by 'Jamesbond' was quite a success. Perhaps not the most powerful but still seemed to achieve a lot.

But generally I'd agree, France does seem a hard position to play successfully.

Post by Guest Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:48 pm

An interesting turn I thought. No big conflicts or disputes but what with Russia wanting to buy land from Sweden, the Pan Indian League, dynastic marriage offers in the East, and a Scot supporting union with England, there is a lot of opportunity for developments and/or tensions...
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Basileus Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:49 pm

If someone wanted to have a bit of fun as France, there is a new mod released of Empire Total War, the platinum Darth mod. Just go to the Total War Center website and the link should be on the front page of news. I have checked out the Spanish and Swedish positions and the troop roll seems quite good. Really strangely the Ottomans have the vanilla troop roll, which I really cannot understand. But the French look really nice and have a colony in India which I haven't seen in any other Empire mods.
    Back to the game - Ottoman Empire seems to have gone quiet?
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:54 pm

The ottomans have gone quiet. I wonder if Rumelia dropped after the frustration of a couple of failed harvests in a row? Morocco also has gone silent, so wonder if that position is still in play.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 5:50 am