Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+27
Goldstar
mmcdhoward
HaroldB
Bearlord
MarkTurner26
one grain of grain
J Flower
Stuart Bailey
Mustang Shooting Stars
Basileus
The Hessian
Flanker79
baggins
Hammer of God
The Little Corporal
tek_604
jamesbond007
Moshe
Richard D. Watts
revvaughan
the great unwashed
Ardagor
count-de-monet
Deacon
Marshal Bombast
Kingmaker
Frank
31 posters

Game 8

Game 8 - Page 18 Empty Re: Game 8

Post by Guest Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:14 pm

The King of Spain is dead...here we go...
    The Hessian
    Lord
    Lord

Number of posts : 85
    Registration date : 2010-09-28

Post by The Hessian Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:54 pm

Yep dip thy toes in the waters of Peenumunde and forget thy worries....
    Ardagor
    Ardagor
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 427
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by Ardagor Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:56 pm

Pedro II, King of Portugal and the Algarves have been named heir to the Spanish Throne. And in other news Portocarraro is declared guilty of treason by the Regency council and put under arrest in Venice.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:25 pm

I note in the paper that it says that the portuguese can't trade in Macau which as far as I know is not period:

From wikipedia for convenience (though I've read it other places): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Macau

"In 1685, the privileged position of the Portuguese in trade with China ended, following a decision by the emperor of China to allow trade with all foreign countries. Over the next century, England, Holland, France, Denmark, Sweden, the United States and Russia moved in, establishing factories and offices in Guangzhou and Macau."

Does anybody know who Richard is running this,since from the history I know the Portuguese paid rent to the Chinese for Macau through this period?

Post by Guest Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:02 pm

Unless its Kowloon, an active position, that is preventing the Portuguese from trading?
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:05 pm

Possibly, though if so, it's news to me! (don't think that's giving away anything, since I wouldn't have asked, if I thought that was the case...)

I believe what was period was the ports foreigners could trade through were very limited. Wonder if this is just an error by Richard or the typical pulling your chain with misinformation....
    Ardagor
    Ardagor
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Ardagor Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:14 am

Look on the map for China, Macao is listed as a Portuguese town, and this have not changed.

Post by Guest Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:08 am

Richard, I know from experience, is actually good on Chinese history of the period so I would be a little surprised if he made a mistake-he knows the status of Macau. Could be he is trying to cause a little mischief, perhaps via an over-keen servant of the governor of Kowloon? Will be interesting to see.

I seem to remember it being reported in the paper before that an admiral of Kowloon had deliberately avoided meeting the governor, perhaps some in the province are a bit more independently minded in their operating?
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:40 pm

Yes, this is my guess at the moment. Richard is a great pot-stirrer!

Ardagor
    Ardagor
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Ardagor Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:36 am

I still find the French lack of activity the strangest part of this game.
    The Spanish succession came and was decided without any French influence, he could at least have demanded some real estate for remaining quiet.
    Why play France if you do not want to talk to anyone, no friends, no allies, very strange as I said.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2571
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:17 pm

Reading the threads on France in recent Games in recent Agama games seems a bit like reading the story of Goldilocks and the three Bears

G2 - Too violent - attacked 5 different powers in one go (Ok one was by accident)
    G7 - Too bossy and opinionated
    G8- Not opinionated enough
    S for E - Total nutter (But what was he like before he started playing a want to be Napoleon with a nasty case of the pox and thing about Nuns - actually quite normal for Scabble)

Clearly in the interests of Science G9 France needs to be played by a player formerly noted for his good humour, gentle easy going nature & diplomacy, willingness to understand other peoples concerns etc,etc ( Very Happy )

Then when French Armies march on the Rhine in T2 we will know its the position not the player.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:26 am

In G8, it's no opinion at all! Beyond weird. Nothing in the paper, no correspondence to anyone ever answered.

I confess it makes me really curious to understand what the player is trying to do. I mean if you want to play the game and talk to no one there are plenty of great positions that works well with. Many of the Asian positions, particularly Japan would be perfect. You could even take on of the Ottoman positions and probably do fine as a recluse. I'm sure others could work well too.

But France? Who would want to play France as a recluse?

Not a peep during the whole spanish succession, or any other topic ever, unless some of the comments from french courtiers in the paper were intentional, which I doubt.

Post by Guest Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:44 pm

I do find the cooperation between Scotland and England in G8 interesting, a more enlightened approach by London than in most games
    Ardagor
    Ardagor
    Prince
    Prince

Post by Ardagor Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:19 pm

16 days turnaround is impressive, this is after all the game with most active players, although it appear to have lost a few over the years. How fast can Richard go and for how long can he maintain this pace? It will certainly be an exciting and expensive start of the year.

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:39 pm

Not the best couple of turns for me...

1) last turn (July) I get a harvest failure and need to find 2 million tons by November
    2) August, the Emperor decides to make me cut my income by 25%

I think someones got it in for me Wink

one grain of grain
    one grain of grain
    Baron
    Baron

Number of posts : 117
    Registration date : 2012-11-17

Post by one grain of grain Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:40 am

yes i know how you feel jason.
    after 3 years of crop failures the peasontry have become rather bothersom, I'm rather glad I ordered those dozen gold embosed long handled bedpans in January
    as my last few serviving palace uniques are using them to swat the invading mobs from the palace walls.
    I don't know why they need grain, Can't they eat cake as I do.
    Although with French Princes being sumarily ejected like flea infested carpet salesmen and Papal Cardinals being defrocked for nothing more than suggesting the
    use of a fine Spanish Madera Wine during the holy sacrement in the vatican. As well as the two Guano Merchant Republics of Venice and Ragusa about to come to
    blows over a rocky Egret coloney.

I may yet find use for my plebs in the army, Ahh for a sharp stake and the promice of far of riches.
    I may yet be saved.

Off to Glory.

One Grain. Game 8 - Page 18 627167562
    the great unwashed
    the great unwashed
    Viscount
    Viscount

Number of posts : 176
    Registration date : 2010-08-15

Post by the great unwashed Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:33 pm

Another interesting turn, what with the Austrians attempting to bribe their way to the Spanish throne. Very Machiavellian.
    Still can't believe poor Rumelia has been blighted for a third consecutive year. Talk about bad luck.
    Jason. You must be rolling in it if your Glorious Leader thinks your treasury can afford to take a pay cut! Still, it should do wonders for your economic growth. Ask your Mandarins if setting up trade in livestock and/or fishing (if appropriate) can provide a source of food for this year. I once did this in game 2 and for an investment of £400,000, it did provide some 200,000+ tons. Sorry i can't help but i already have others in need. Good luck

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:50 am

Thanks for the hints Great Unwashed Smile I always establish a fishing industry in any position for just this reason-also pretty sure that with the ideas you've suggested and aid from nearby I should be ok.

It is the tax decision that caught me off guard really, don't think I'm as rich as the "Emperor" thinks...oh well, will see what income in the new year brings Smile
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:09 pm

I think that's one of the hidden downsides on being on the far side of the world. Nobody in Europe with grain could get it to you in time to really help.

The game certainly has been interesting for the last several turns, I'll give it that!

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:38 pm

You're right, it has been interesting and reckon it will remain so for some time to come.
    the great unwashed
    the great unwashed
    Viscount
    Viscount

Number of posts : 176
    Registration date : 2010-08-15

Post by the great unwashed Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:31 pm

It appears that Austria and the joint monarchy of Spain/Portugal have reached agreement.
    Will the English pursue their claim on Gibraltar and Portuguese holdings in Africa?
    Has Venice over-reached itself over Ragusa and will The Emperor and The Sultan intervene?
    One war averted but perhaps another one on the way.
    More importantly i've been kicked out of 4th place as most loved human being in the world and that by some johnny foreigner. Who is this chappy called Manchuria and where is he. I can't see him anywhere on my map of Africa. Get me the Royal cartographer. Never mind, gather the Army. We march at dawn. We'll have this sorted out in a couple of weeks! Game 8 - Page 18 627167562

Post by Guest Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:18 am

Manchuria welcomes careful invaders Wink We even offer a discount rate on posting their bodies back home.. Very Happy
    one grain of grain
    one grain of grain
    Baron
    Baron

Number of posts : 117
    Registration date : 2012-11-17

Post by one grain of grain Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:54 am

2 Million sharp Stakes added to my Armoury and Peace breaks out ! Sigh
    Ohh well time to store the bedpans. I suppose that the plebs can be kept busy
    planting said stakes as road Markers, This should also keep the plebs from
    gathering together in unruly mobs which could be catastrophic as all those
    empty rumbling stomachs together could reignite the spark of anarchy.

Such are the trials of a truely great ruler. Game 8 - Page 18 627167562

One Grain.
    Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 458
    Registration date : 2011-07-01

Post by Basileus Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:59 am

I don't get why we (yes I am an Ottoman player in this game)aren't more aggressive. Venetian moves down the Adriatic, an Imperialistic Russia, and Vienna always beckons. Come on guys, show a bit of Ottoman backbone and lets go to war! bounce

Post by Guest Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:37 pm

Sounds an excellent idea, I'm all in favour of the barbarians slaughtering each other Wink

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 9:28 am