Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+27
Goldstar
mmcdhoward
HaroldB
Bearlord
MarkTurner26
one grain of grain
J Flower
Stuart Bailey
Mustang Shooting Stars
Basileus
The Hessian
Flanker79
baggins
Hammer of God
The Little Corporal
tek_604
jamesbond007
Moshe
Richard D. Watts
revvaughan
the great unwashed
Ardagor
count-de-monet
Deacon
Marshal Bombast
Kingmaker
Frank
31 posters

Game 8

Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Game 8 - Page 22 Empty Re: Game 8

Post by Deacon Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:39 pm

Yes, always new ways to screw up, and the GM freely punishes but is stingy with rewards.

We're always happy to give advice though, so that you can avoid the obvious errors and move right on to the non-obvious ones!

Post by Guest Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:35 pm

Yes, welcome HaroldB and enjoy Smile

Mark-it is a pain isn't it? It's something the Emperor did to me about a year back, just about survived financially but...
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:40 pm

I think Richard is just encouraging you to assassinate the emperor and ensure a new person on the jade throne....  Very Happy 
    HaroldB
    Surf
    Surf

Number of posts : 3
    Registration date : 2013-12-19

Post by HaroldB Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:08 pm

Hi. Thanks everyone. Not so much my first ever position as my first in a while. Looking forward to diving straight in and hopefully making new friends.
    one grain of grain
    one grain of grain
    Baron
    Baron

Number of posts : 117
    Registration date : 2012-11-17

Post by one grain of grain Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:29 am

Hi HaroldB welcome back and hope you enjoy G8 if you need advice on Cakes and Fat Women I'm the man to ask.

Cheers.

One Grain. Game 8 - Page 22 627167562 
    count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 379
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by count-de-monet Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:39 am

"We're always happy to give advice though, so that you can avoid the obvious errors and move right on to the non-obvious ones!"

Deacon should be applauded for one of the funniest and most accurate pieces of advice and offers of support posted for a long time on here. Bravo !!

HaroldB Welcome to a wonderful game.
    MarkTurner26
    MarkTurner26
    Marquess
    Marquess

Number of posts : 260
    Registration date : 2012-11-03

Post by MarkTurner26 Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:29 pm

I agree, welcome Harold B, you will find us lot are a querky bunch, if you want any help just ask on site or send someone a message. We are all very happy to help, though don't tell us who you play  Very Happy 
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:04 pm

MarkTurner26 wrote:I agree, welcome Harold B, you will find us lot are a querky bunch, if you want any help just ask on site or send someone a message. We are all very happy to help, though don't tell us who you play  Very Happy 

Ha! This does seem to be the more common perspective. I'm comfortable with disclosure myself.
    MarkTurner26
    MarkTurner26
    Marquess
    Marquess

Post by MarkTurner26 Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:34 pm

Ha! I play two games and have only revealed one of them, I like people not knowing who I play, although sometimes the rhetoric in the paper is sometimes enough.

Post by Guest Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:56 pm

Deacon wrote:
    MarkTurner26 wrote:I agree, welcome Harold B, you will find us lot are a querky bunch, if you want any help just ask on site or send someone a message. We are all very happy to help, though don't tell us who you play  Very Happy 

Ha!  This does seem to be the more common perspective.  I'm comfortable with disclosure myself.

I'm with Deacon, always happy to say who I am in a game. I think the only time I might not was if I was playing a pirate or something like that.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:18 pm

Jason wrote:
    Deacon wrote:

Ha!  This does seem to be the more common perspective.  I'm comfortable with disclosure myself.

I'm with Deacon, always happy to say who I am in a game.  I think the only time I might not was if I was playing a pirate or something like that.

Yeah, I wouldn't be public on some of the pirate positions, but otherwise I don't think it much matters, at least to me.

MarkTurner26
    MarkTurner26
    Marquess
    Marquess

Post by MarkTurner26 Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:59 pm

I like to give an air of mystery! Saying that you all know I play Korea or played Hungary in Game 2
    HaroldB
    Surf
    Surf

Number of posts : 3
    Registration date : 2013-12-19

Post by HaroldB Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:03 pm

Thanks for such a warm welcome. I'll take the advice not to say who I play. It looks like some of you are my neighbours.

I've done some reading and it looks like most of the action is in the Far East with not too much going on in Europe, Africa and the Middle East. Am I missing anything?
    mmcdhoward
    Freeman
    Freeman

Number of posts : 13
    Registration date : 2011-11-09

Post by mmcdhoward Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:27 pm

Hello all, recently got the first set of papers for my Game 8 account. I think this one has a lot of promise, given the activity I see in this thread. Looking forward to playing with everyone
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:07 pm

Welcome!
    one grain of grain
    one grain of grain
    Baron
    Baron

Number of posts : 117
    Registration date : 2012-11-17

Post by one grain of grain Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:12 am

September 1703 game 8 update.

A) London. The spectre of time standing still was averted when the Watch maker Thomas Tompion was able to find patronage from a wealthy benefactor.

B) Edinburgh. Both Lord Melville and an obviously pregnant Princess Anne Stuart have been speaking over the benefits for pro-union with England in the upcoming election.

C) Hague. It seems that Dutch obstinance has been rewarded with the dropping of a 10 percent tariff rate to Dutch merchants in the Venetian Republic.

D) Cologne. Master Printer Jakob Le Blon has crated the ordered press ready for shipment. It is hoped by the readers and publisher of the "London Gazette" for game 8 that the Press is for the Great Moghul in Delhi as it is obvious to all by the state of the article offered for this months Gazette that the Press in Delhi is on its last legs.

E) Liege-Cologne. It appears that Brigadier Wolfskehl has decided to remake the army in his image having ordered the cavalry to per-take in fox hunts and the infantry to raise Cockerels, it seems he wants to change the cavalry squadrons from hard drinking, hard charging demons into fox hunting toffs and the infantry into self laying egg farmers. As one Infantry private informed his comrades the only Cockerel appeared to be Her Wolfskehl himself.

F) Hanover. It seems that Diplomatic mail from Hannover to England has been routinely intercepted and altered. No word yet if this is due to a dedicated functionary correcting the poor diction of his fellow scribes or a darker plot has been uncovered.

G) Vienna. A Diplomatic wrangle between Austria and Prussia has erupted due to Prussia closing its Naval Mission to Austria unfinished while still benefitting from an Austrian Gunnery mission in return.

H) Madrid. It seems the union of Spain and Portugal is still causing friction with the royal family being involved in the latest incident. It appears that Crown Prince Joao objected to using a Portuguese made chamber pot, The Prince made his objections known by opening his bedroom window and emptying the offending pots contents onto the heads of unfortunate passers-bye.

I) Volos. In one of the finest displays of General-ship ever recorded in the annals of warfare two Battalions of the Bey of Rumelias personal guard stormed the town of Volos unaided to liberate the town and its populace from the clutches of the heinous and very wicked Brigand Mustapha Al Yabid and his band of cut-throats and haters of dainty pastry treats. Despite their valiant efforts no sign of the swine was found, Despite this setback the Bey vowed to have the bandits head on a stick to adorn the Palace walls.

J) Athens. By-passing the Beys groping clutches the Brigand Mustapha Al Yabid with his growing band showed that he had a firm grasp of the principal of cause and effect by hi-jacking a large shipment of grain bound for Sofia from Athens.

K) Polish Ukraine. The marauding Tartar hoard where put to flight buy a large force of Polish Cossacks.

L) Peking. The Emperor has ordered the Kingdom of Korea to stop taxing Temples as punishment for an inadequate genuineness in its "Fawning" and Korea has been put on notice that it needs to double its Fawning effort for next years wood whittling extravaganza.

M) Delhi. A new Lib a y (library to the rest of us) is to be opened by the Great Moghul in this city. It is hoped that this new structure of learning will result in (A) An improvement in literary skills resulting in the use of all the letters in the alphabet. (B) The ability to correctly fill out forms so that a new printing press can be ordered from Her Jakob Le Blon which will contain the letter R as part of its script.

Things to note by there absence.

No reported Shipping movements = quiet month for the "SHITS"
    No report of Master Papin = 100 points to a skinny Frenchman 0 points to millions of Chinese.

Brought to you by a man digesting his latest literary delight, "How to catch a dirty rat in ten easy steps"

One Grain. Game 8 - Page 22 627167562 

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2571
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:28 pm

Richard seems to have found a new toy.

Starting in G2 but now spreading to other games Agema publications gives you the "Ottoman bandit problem".

While this may seem like a problem for Beys of Rumelia and other Ottoman players it may have potential for export.

Perhaps the Bey may have to add to his reading lists:

1) The Ottoman Diplomatic Handbook - How to explain to Austrians, Poles, Russians, etc that Ottoman raiders and slave traders are nothing to do with hard working Ottoman Civil Servants.......honest Gov!

2) Ottoman Social Problems - How to recruit bandits as soldiers and export the problem.
    MarkTurner26
    MarkTurner26
    Marquess
    Marquess

Post by MarkTurner26 Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:42 am

Well that was an interesting turn, Korea the tiny region just off of china banned all Europeans, although I do wonder what the "Punishment befitting the Crime" actually means and if I don't know nobody will seeing as I wrote it.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:12 pm

MarkTurner26 wrote:Well that was an interesting turn, Korea the tiny region just off of china banned all Europeans, although I do wonder what the "Punishment befitting the Crime" actually means and if I don't know nobody will seeing as I wrote it.

I'm not really sure why. I don't think anybody trades with korea. I don't think I'm breaking any OOC rules by saying that I was told that korea isn't 'allowed' to do external trade. Not sure they have any goods that anybody else wants that they can't get closer to home anyway?
    MarkTurner26
    MarkTurner26
    Marquess
    Marquess

Post by MarkTurner26 Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:10 pm

You see what I did, was burn my bridges, plus it's fitted in nicely with my decree about temple taxes.

All I would say is that nothing has stopped me investing in trade with the other Chinese states.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:27 pm

MarkTurner26 wrote:You see what I did, was burn my bridges, plus it's fitted in nicely with my decree about temple taxes.

All I would say is that nothing has stopped me investing in trade with the other Chinese states.

Can't burn a bridge you don't have!  rabbit 

I'm still waiting for china to invade japan like the emperor asked....
    MarkTurner26
    MarkTurner26
    Marquess
    Marquess

Post by MarkTurner26 Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:38 pm

Ha ha ha, when was this?
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:04 pm

MarkTurner26 wrote:Ha ha ha, when was this?

I think in the first year, though I'm stirring the pot a bit (but only a bit). He asked to have some islands held by Japan off the Chinese coast retaken.

I don't have my papers handy, anybody else remember this and what the emperor's exact instructions were? I imagine whoever did it would get some good honour for it. (stir, stir!)

Post by Guest Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:08 pm

We weren't quite told to invade Japan, more some islands that once paid tribute to China were to be made to do so again...operations are underway in that regard Wink It's actually an interesting one as the islands in question paid tribute to both Japan and China (historically) at the same time.

Mark-on foreign trade and Korea, the previous Korean player did start to allow it (and the Emperor didn't object), I can never make out quite how much more freedom Korea has when compared to a 'normal' Chinese province.

As to punishment...well in G2 when playing Kwantung I used to seize any merchants trading illegally, turn them into eunuchs and either send them off to the Emperor as slaves or chain them up outside my governors palace...I also seized their goods for my own and any subjects of the Empire caught trading with them were executed...their families I merely enslaved rather than executed...
    MarkTurner26
    MarkTurner26
    Marquess
    Marquess

Post by MarkTurner26 Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:20 pm

We'll as far as I can gather, I can trade with foreigners, but my people see them as untrustworthy peoples, but I am happy I bagged myself three honour points and an economic point this turn. Which gets me ready for next year. So all in all it was a good turn for me.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 1:48 am