Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+27
Goldstar
mmcdhoward
HaroldB
Bearlord
MarkTurner26
one grain of grain
J Flower
Stuart Bailey
Mustang Shooting Stars
Basileus
The Hessian
Flanker79
baggins
Hammer of God
The Little Corporal
tek_604
jamesbond007
Moshe
Richard D. Watts
revvaughan
the great unwashed
Ardagor
count-de-monet
Deacon
Marshal Bombast
Kingmaker
Frank
31 posters

Game 8

Game 8 - Page 23 Empty Re: Game 8

Post by Guest Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:34 pm

I think that's how the whole empire views foreigners Wink But good it's given you some benefits straight away...I think the East is going to get a lot more interesting in the next few months Smile
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2571
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:07 pm

Deacon wrote:
    MarkTurner26 wrote:Well that was an interesting turn, Korea the tiny region just off of china banned all Europeans, although I do wonder what the "Punishment befitting the Crime" actually means and if I don't know nobody will seeing as I wrote it.

I'm not really sure why.  I don't think anybody trades with korea.  I don't think I'm breaking any OOC rules by saying that I was told that korea isn't 'allowed' to do external trade.  Not sure they have any goods that anybody else wants that they can't get closer to home anyway?  

According to my copy of "The History of the World in 100 objects" by Neil MacGregor Korea had some really good pottery.

In fact in 1700 many of the leading Japanese potters working who worked on Dutch East India Company Commissions for the European Market were actually the Japanese heirs of Koreans who had taken captive by the Japanese in the 1590's.

A War sometimes known as the "Potters War" in Japan due to the number of skilled Korean workers who were re-settled in Japan.

"Eastern" players may like to note that Japan (hand in glove with the Dutch) had replaced China as the major exporter of ceramics after the Export Industry in China fall victim to the anarchy of the Manchu Invasion and the fall of the Ming, but by 1700 China/Korea were taking their export markets back.
    MarkTurner26
    MarkTurner26
    Marquess
    Marquess

Number of posts : 260
    Registration date : 2012-11-03

Post by MarkTurner26 Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:15 pm

Note to self "invest in pottery!" Caching!!!!!!!

Post by Guest Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:20 pm

*Suddenly porcelain production is the new craze in game 8*
    MarkTurner26
    MarkTurner26
    Marquess
    Marquess

Post by MarkTurner26 Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:24 pm

Its the first step to the Korean take over of all of china, mwahahahaha

Post by Guest Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:03 pm

Breaking news...the Emperor declares a war on pottery...
    MarkTurner26
    MarkTurner26
    Marquess
    Marquess

Post by MarkTurner26 Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:07 pm

Ha Ha Ha, the great pottery war of 1704, has a ring to it! I wonder what reply I will get from the Emperor this turn, If he tells me to reduce my tax level I will cry!
    one grain of grain
    one grain of grain
    Baron
    Baron

Number of posts : 117
    Registration date : 2012-11-17

Post by one grain of grain Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:22 pm

October 1703 Game 8 update.

Due to the Xmas break and excessive drink last months musings are a bit late and light on data.

A) Edinburgh, It seems the resent election has proven to be less than satisfactory with no clear winner the Scots Party gained the most votes but failed to get a clear majority so it seems all parties will now begin the real
    game of what you can do for me.

B) Bergen-Op-Zoom, It seems that the thought of being hired out to Venetian coin counters has resulted in some ships captains hiding below in the ships hold and even being driven to the point of madness. To be honest who
    can blame them.

C) Cologne, It seems that Brigadier Wolfskehl's order for the Cavalry to per-take in weekly fox hunts has highlighted some unintended results, Namely that the horsemen failed to restrict the hunts solely to foxes, believing that
    anything on four legs was fair game and the indiscriminate slaughter of the local wildlife has enraged the locals and in one particularly unfortunate incident one dragoon charged into a meadow skewering a farmers prized milking cow.
    The upshot is that now the Cavalry may only go on Drag hunts. To those not clear on the difference its what is known as a "fake hunt" which is rather fitting for a "fake Army".  

D) Delhi, Herr Hoth"s last letter to his wife extolling his love of the wildlife especially the elephant and pleading for her to join him on the subcontinent resulted in the poor women replying that maybe he should marry one then as she
    had no intention of joining him.

E) Stockholm, It is with sadness that I report the tragic loss of the newborn Prince.

F) Vienna, The Brandenburg ambassador has complained about the vile Austrian name calling and how was it his masters fault that the Austrian artisans preferred to take their Prussian teachers drinking and wenching in the local taverns than learn a new skill. It was obvious to all that a cursory search of the local taverns would locate the missing Prussian mission.

G) Bucharest, The enquiry as to if the Bey of Rumelia had converted to a Orthodox Christian and as such the Prince of Wallachia found it to hard to reply to the Rumelian Beys letter as he did not know how to address the Bey brought a stunned silence to Yegen Pasha, After a moment the Bey asked if things were so dull in Bucharest that the prince had forgotten how to put quill to paper.

H) Narva, It seems that the city has broken from Sweden in a bloodless coup.

I) Athens, Keeping with all things Swedish, It seems that after asking for asylum the ex-Ambassador Count Gadde the cad has disappeared along with a purse containing a considerable amount in Swedish Dalers.

J) New York, It appears that the formation of a colonial army is well under way.

H) Hoi-Yang, Oh those inscrutable Orientals ! On one hand the Chinese Empire is expending considerable time and funds in locating a certain French foreigner so he can be forcibly returned and on the other the King of Korea has banned
    all Europeans from his domain in the Empire. It seems Master Papin knew which way the Devine wind was blowing and got out while the getting out was good. In truth the kings edict passed without a mention in the Palaces and Courts
    of the European powers and the only noticeable effect was in members of the "Lumber Appreciation Society" cancelling their tentative bookings to travel to next years Wood Whittling extravaganza with the few wives who had decided
    to travel with their husbands expressing their disappointment at not being able to watch professional "Fawners" in action.

Well back to my latest good read "A Policeman's Guide to Following bread crumbs or any other nutritional matter" By Hansel and Gretel.

One Grain. Game 8 - Page 23 627167562
    one grain of grain
    one grain of grain
    Baron
    Baron

Post by one grain of grain Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:22 pm

November 1703 Game 8 update.

Or the month of "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap"

A) Edinburgh, It looks like the haggling between the parties after the election will be a long drawn out affair.

B) London, After the none result in the Scottish elections it is rather surprising that elections have been called for May 1704 in England, Tigers for punishment.

C) Hague, It seems that the Merchant Herr Todt is upsetting some in Government with his constant deriding of the Dutch Economy and infrastructure. The reason for this is unsure but you can bet money is involved.

D) Versailles, Big Lou has narrowly escaped an assassins blade in his bed chamber with the Kings life being saved by the quick actions of his servants who knocked the Moorish blade from the assassins hand. It seems the assassin had been an invited guest who upon capture stated he intended to stab the King in the heart. Which due to Big Lou's size surprised many that the assassin missed such a large target. No other details are forthcoming but the gossip is that the most likely reasons are. 1) It was the actions of a jilted lover. 2) It was in fact a cunning ploy by Big Lou himself to garner a degree of sympathy from the French populace. 3) It was the actions of a sticking implement manufacturer attempting to discredit a fellow competitor of fine Moorish weaponry.

E) Hanover, One Coach Two Coach Three Coach Four. In what some call bizarre and others a conspiracy it seems that the travel arrangements of Prince George and Sophia Dorothea of Celle have led to claims that up to Four Carriages have been used to confuse onlookers as to who is going where, with some claiming to have seen an imposter posing as Sophia Dorothea in one. A palace spokesman stated that it was nothing more than confusion originating from the employment of Coachmen from what was described as the lower range of the IQ scale in an attempt to limit gossip on Coach movements, However some of the staff on seeing the reflection of the coach in shop windows had believed that in fact there was a convoy of coaches.

F) Narva, It seems that the rest of Ingria has joined the city of Narva in rebellion against Sweden.

G) Jassy, Prince Mihail Racovita has given permission for the Crimea Tartar's to gather in North Moldavia, Soon the whole affair looked like an overactive Cirque de Soleil.

H) Kandy, In one of the most unique barter agreements ever signed the Danish have parted with a few thousand rusty old Muskets surplus to requirements, (Which means they no longer go Bang) in exchange for the rite to recruit in an area where it is harder to find a male of recruiting age than find Dinosaur Dung. this gives new meaning to the term "Ghost Recon".

I) Chinnampo, Portugal has withdrawn their Ambassador to Korea due to the threats to his life. Meanwhile the King has decided to acquire three new Royal Consorts from the leading clan families, Just what any budding despot requires a new hobby to while away those cold nights. Next the kookie loon will be demanding a Troll Doll haircut and oversize glasses.

Well another month another book to read. "Polish Winged Hussars! Warriors or simply half plucked turkeys"

MarkTurner26
    MarkTurner26
    Marquess
    Marquess

Post by MarkTurner26 Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:36 pm

Well, being the representative of his majesty King Sujong I can tell you that there is going to be much much more interesting events for the paper coming out of Korea. I am interested to see what the Emperor makes of the tax hikes.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:53 am

I'd be more concerned about peasant revolts.

I doubt it will impact honour much, since you didn't change the tax rate on nobles, but 1 to 11% is a pretty big bump.

I wonder why it was originally so low on commoners?
    Ardagor
    Ardagor
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 427
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by Ardagor Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:19 am

Tax was increased by 1 to 11% according to the newspaper, not a significant jump.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:03 am

Ardagor wrote:Tax was increased by 1 to 11% according to the newspaper, not a significant jump.

You're right. I managed to completely misread the paper on that one.

Never mind!
    MarkTurner26
    MarkTurner26
    Marquess
    Marquess

Post by MarkTurner26 Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:28 pm

Yeah, I didn't want to go too drastic, my economy is pretty decent and I gots me and extra 2 honour points
    one grain of grain
    one grain of grain
    Baron
    Baron

Post by one grain of grain Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:51 pm

December 1703 Game 8 update.

A) The Hague. It seems Herr Todt has had to eat Dutch humble Pie.

B) Cologne. Great Culture was advanced with the performance of a brand new Puppetry Play with one of the stars being a Crocodile.! Obviously with culture like this there will be a high demand for performances, Luckily at the same time a great advance in wagon development has occurred so it is hoped that the budding thespians can now travel in greater comfort.

C) Brunswick. Much haggling over the correctly signed forms so as to continue to keep the imprisoned Princess banged up.

D) Berlin. The Huguenot exiles have been made to feel very welcome and with Big Lou shitting bricks after his narrow escape things are looking good.

E) Riga. Parts of the Swedish Navy have deserted to the new principality of Ingria.

F) Stockholm. King Charles has ordered his army to crush Ingria. Civil War is afoot.

G) Madrid. King Pedros wedding proceeded without a hitch and even a Portuguese "Flea" was invited to act as best man to the King.

H) Skopje. The populace of Rumelia seem to have developed a bent for Grain thievery. No word yet if it is due to a sudden bent to become bakers or that the latest artistic craze developed by a bored local farmer to cut designs in his grain fields so that locals can admire his work from atop a high escarpment has taken off.

I) Vizagapatam. It seems the local shipwrights are upset that the English shipwright mission will only help build ships and not teach how to build ships. Oh deary me it looks like a misunderstanding in correct Cambridge Grammar.

J) Peking. Another case of the Chinese left hand trying to cut of the right hand. Khan Nurhaci has forced his Foo Manchu to beg the Emperor to be allowed to trade with the filthy evil Foreigners.

Post by Guest Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:01 am

Mock all you want Mr Grain...the Emperor has, in his great wisdom, grant me the right to allow some lucky barbarians permission to trade with the wonder that is Manchuria! Razz

Post by Guest Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:45 am

Though we do have some bad news in the latest turn...the death of King William of England, etc...the little gentleman in the black velvet waistcoat got him in the end...
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:46 pm

Yes, died a few years later than he did in history, but the exact same way.

Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:04 am

I'm a bit more interested in the Siege of Narva.

Should be interesting to watch.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Wed May 21, 2014 8:52 pm

March 1704

Queen Anne promises Scotland anything it wants if it will just come to bed with England already. Some English miffed that the Queen isn't being more coy. Scotland, however, is all hot and bothered by the proposal and ready to trot.

Hesse-Darmstadt gets testy about being called murderers for hanging recruiters.

The Reichskammergericht says they'll hear Hanover's case for the Archbishopric of Bremen... if Hanover can provide any evidence that there is a case to be heard.

In Hanover, Army officers are appalled that they are supposed to know their jobs and might get sacked if they don't. Is all that time drinking beer and eating sausages to count for nothing?

Berlin - Some prezzies

Vienna - Some parties

Rostock - baby stuff

Copenhagen - Was sad about William for a little bit, then partied for Anne.

Narva - some wanker suggests that talking might solve the problem better than killing.

Lisbon - Leibniz launches the rent-a-friend program by announcing he'll pay sciencey people to come talk to him in september

Madrid - Pedro was sober for a while, then he got drunk and lowered taxes on the commoners. Nobles quietly suggested that it might be wise to prevent the king from returning to sobriety...

Venice - The Doge went to Verona where the governor, forgetting that christmas was some months gone, asked Santa for an ampitheatre, a few palaces, some fortifications, a castle and a garrison.

Far East - people trade, and worry that somebody might invade them. Barbarians of the west are too busy with their own affairs to notice.

Athens - the Ottoman army, tired of sitting around drinking sherbert and eating turkish delight, got off their duffs and caught the brigands only to discover that they were 1,000 escaped slaves led by the swedish noble count Adam Gadde. Deciding he wasn't cute enough to keep as a harem boy, they executed him.

Skopje - bandits raided a gold mine and frightened off all the workers carrying off 8,000 ashrafis worth of gold. awkward...

Delhi - The Great Moghul opened a mosque where he got lectured by the Imam that he wasn't killing enough people.

The Hessian
    Lord
    Lord

Number of posts : 85
    Registration date : 2010-09-28

Game 8 - Page 23 Empty ONE GRAIN OF SAND WHERE ARE YOU?????

Post by The Hessian Wed May 21, 2014 9:57 pm

Please come back and rescue us from the Portugese Inebriated Forgers attempts to take over your crown of making sense of the worlds goings on in LGDR 8! There is no humour, no mention of cakes or large ladies. Frankly its terse, crude and too damn short to excite or interest the minds of states rulers such as you provided.

Return and carry on your public service for which you are appreciated and admired by the more intellectual classes of society.

In game Ills end you a case of custard slices and a particularly gifted large female sous chef!

jocolor 
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Wed May 21, 2014 10:06 pm

I'd complain about the slander, but I'm too busy trying to find my drink!

Post by Guest Wed May 21, 2014 10:10 pm

Let the Barbarians not pay attention...right up until when the Emperor's vast fleets come and visit... Twisted Evil 
    one grain of grain
    one grain of grain
    Baron
    Baron

Post by one grain of grain Wed May 21, 2014 11:04 pm

To all from G8 will try to give an update for the last 3 months, sorry but R L intruded into my Rumelian home life. Resulting in no time to digest and decipher the monthly news.
    I will endeavour to improve my tardy performance. To Deacon well done for March however I must state that the secret is to know! Is the wanker simply a wanker or does the wanker
    have a message that only another wanker can understand and learn from ?. (no insult intended, unless your a wanker of course).

And now a bit of poetry

Gadde the Cad was thought to be bad
    Alas for Gadde he was found to be mad
    With the swish of a sword
    His head did fall forward
    And oh how it made me feel glad.

Game 8 - Page 23 2847117503 

Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Thu May 22, 2014 12:52 am

Understand, I was there a few months ago. Have more time to focus on the game now. hope RL is treating you well.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 11:04 am