Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+23
one grain of grain
sammon
Thelittleemperor
Admin
Hapsburg
Goldstar
Nexus06
Verming2
Ardagor
Verming
The Revenant
revvaughan
jamesbond007
Kingmaker
Rozwi_Game10
Stuart Bailey
J Flower
Bearlord
Basileus
Deacon
the great unwashed
coffeedog14
MarkTurner26
27 posters

Game 10

Thelittleemperor
    Lord
    Lord

Number of posts : 71
    Registration date : 2017-01-28

Game 10 - Page 19 Empty Re: Game 10

Post by Thelittleemperor Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:07 pm

I suspect Genoa , Tuscany and Venice are active .
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Number of posts : 661
    Registration date : 2015-08-15

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:47 pm

Hapsburg wrote:Thanks, anyone have an idea which Italian states are active? I thought Venice was but now not so sure. Cheers

Yes, I'd been thinking that Venice had gone quiet in the newspaper of late. The Stuarts in exile too.

I hope they haven't dropped, as they were both interesting to read about in the paper.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:52 pm

It does seem to me that in new games you can get a fair number of drops very early. I never quite figured that out. If you want to play the position, I'd think you'd hang around for a year or two.

Thelittleemperor
    Lord
    Lord

Number of posts : 71
    Registration date : 2017-01-28

Post by Thelittleemperor Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:20 pm

Venice seems to be stealing itself for a new enterprise .Tuscany is still getting ambassadors and helping the Portuguese and of course Genoa , well, we all see what they are up to .
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:47 pm

If you need any help with the burning & sacking of Rome, don't forget to give me a shout.....

Will The Pope decide to allow Rodrigo to stay? Breaking lots of religious customs & alienating a lot of the Catholic world? Makes me glad to be playing a Protestant nation.

Has anyone actually recognised Rodrigo as king of Spain yet? If no one does recognise him then is it an empty title ? A bit like the Elector of Brandenburg calling himself king in Prussia when he hasn't got permission from the Kaiser.

If Venice( Hapsburg ally) attacks Naples( Hapsburg possession) will he be attacking the Hapsburg's, or will he be attacking The Bourbon sympathiser who is now officially the Hapsburg Viceroy, could this lead to some Hapsburg infighting?

So many questions waiting to be answered.

anyone know the raising cost of a" Male Goat choir."
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:41 am

J Flower wrote:anyone know the raising cost of a" Male Goat choir."

Who are you trying to Kid? We'll just have to see Wether or not you'll be Bucking the trend on this thread and ignoring the Lord Fong rule of castration.

J Flower wrote:Will The Pope decide to allow Rodrigo to stay? Breaking lots of religious customs & alienating a lot of the Catholic world? Makes me glad to be playing a Protestant nation.

Another reason why I chose Rozwi. Nobody gets to tell me what I can and cannot do!

Going back to Italy. I found it interesting to see the map of the place in the back of the newspaper. Spotting Malta reminded me that I always found the Knights of St. John an interesting position in the game. I won't be playing them, however, as I believe I've found my talent for playing Tribals. But I still think Malta an interesting position in the game.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2571
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:40 pm

Deacon wrote:
    Maybe Richard is having us on, and there is some bleed over from Scramble. Next thing you know there will be some very, very pale nuns showing up...

Think its only a matter of time before we see Sir Harry Flashman appointed as King William of Englands extra special envoy to Spain, France or the Papal States.  Since Flashy has a Scots Wife he can probably also act for Scotland as well.

On subject of who has declared for who has declared for Rodger the Dodger as King of Spain/King of Naples/Duke of Milan/Duke of Flanders plus other recent points raised in this thread from the Flashman perspective:

Rodger the Dodger has the support of the Grand Duke of Tuscany and the Spanish Royal Council but to date no one has yet had the nerve to ask the various Cortez in Spain what they think.  All other Royal Houses have yet to declare, declared for someone else or limited themselves to saying its not Rodger.

Oddly we have yet to find out what the various Cortez think.  After someone asked the locals in Naples for their opinion on who should be the next King and they came up backing Charles von Hapsburg as King of Naples and a follower of Philip of Anjou as Viceroy people are probably scared to ask.  However as Naples is a inherited Papal fief and the Papal Authorities are surposed to be following the principals of canon and Roman law in trying to work out who has the best claim to inherit the fief even if the public vote had gone for Rodger its not binding on the Papal Court.Game 10 - Page 19 3465686019

The Flashman solution to this type of problem would be "sod the lawyers, get troops on the ground and use large sums of cash, hot women and drink to pack the relevant diets with people willing to support your man"

As for what the Pope thinks Flashman would no doubt point to Henry VIII devorce case V the Hapsburgs.  All the best legal mind's in England......sod all use when 50,000 Hapsburg Troops burn half of Rome down and basically hold the Pope captive.Game 10 - Page 19 169354432

As for what the Scots can do legally do about about French Ships working for the King Philip of Spain and "pressing" his own subjects and ships into his navy Flashman offers two solutions:

1) Declare war on France or King Philip of Spain........then its perfectly legal and not Piracy at all to attack these ships.  Only problem would be in a war with a French or Spanish monarch its not really the done thing to hang their crews.

2) Declare Scotland fully in support the true and legal claim of King Rodger to the throne of Spain..........anyone backing his rivals on grounds of Catholic & normal inheritence law are traitors and rebels and should be hung.  As added advantage just think how much such a declaration would wind up the Jacobites!Game 10 - Page 19 3497527849

Post by Guest Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:42 pm

or

3) Carry on patrolling Scottish waters...and any naughty pirate-like people we catch doing pirate-like things will be given a fair trial (and asked if they are "guilty" or "very very guilty"), given a last meal of haggis...then be hung until dead...or if they are lucky, hung until they are very very unhappy
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:50 pm

I'm with Jason on this one. Very Happy

If it looks like a pirate, and acts like a pirate, the fact that it might say "I'm in the french navy!" or some such nonsense doesn't signify. Pirates say all sorts of crazy things before you hang them. All the rum and sodomy, you know.

Without the discipline of the lash, they take to trying to steal other people's cabin boys and engaging in naval role play.
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:57 am

An alternative to hanging is beheading,

Look up Klaus Störtebecker, a well known & successful Pirate from the Baltic, he did a deal with his captors, the other members of his crew were lined up, & after his beheading the headless corpse was allowed to run down the line, all those he passed were pardoned the rest shared his fate.

Another alternative is to supply the Corsairs with so much Whiskey & Gin that they are "spirited away."

I must admit the French will probably find that after the Haggis the hanging will come as a bit of a relief, there may be the threat of porridge to follow, guess they will be begging to the gallows to escape the dangers of Scottish culinary inquisition

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:24 pm

J Flower wrote:

I must admit the French will probably find that after the Haggis the hanging will come as a bit of a relief, there may be the threat of porridge to follow, guess they will be begging  to the gallows to escape the dangers of Scottish culinary inquisition

affraid Aggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh no........please not the Haggis followed by force feeding of Scots porridge with water and salt!!!

The French Corsairs hereby promise faithfully to respect the local bye laws and not send thair press gangs into Scots ports or territorial waters.

Would like to point out:

1) There is a big legal difference between Privateer's like Sir Francis Drake, The Chevalier Jean Bart etc and Pirates like Blackbeard
    2) The Privateering Branch is a official and historic part of the French Navy.
    3) If the leading Privateers step out of line......Louis XIV has got nice corner cells in the Bastille ready for them.

I dont know......some people are never happy. In some games problen is France never says or does anything and game has a hole in it, in others its said the French position is too large for one player. Do my best to help the main French position re-create the look and feel of Louis XIV Court (inc Sex Scandals, Dauls, Swaggering and all round toadying round the person of the Sun King) and all I get is charges of Piracy!

Its so unfair when my characters paper work is in perfect order.
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:15 pm

Stuart,
    Fear not at the moment the balance is probably about right with France it maybe people just need to adjust to a France that actually appears to be acting with a degree of Normality(admitted the definition of Normality may open a whole new debate on it's own)

May also be a worry that game is almost following the historical narrative in a way, there is a crisis in Spain that can only be resolved by Vienna & Paris, just a question of will it be settled over a quiet drink in the pub, or will it be handbags at dawn on the pub car park!

Not Sure if the Scottish Culinary Inquisition, should be let loose on the world in General , is the world ready for Deep Fried Haggis in a Bun?

Post by Guest Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:45 pm

I feel, in all fairness to me, I should I point I didn't accuse anyone of piracy. All I said was anyone caught doing pirate things in my waters (like taking Spanish merchants) would suffer the appropriate fate...so clearly Stuart has a guilty conscience pirat

Porridge, Stovies, Haggis...all good healthy Scottish food...don't know what any of you are complaining about
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:00 pm

Jason wrote:I feel, in all fairness to me, I should I point I didn't accuse anyone of piracy.  All I said was anyone caught doing pirate things in my waters (like taking Spanish merchants) would suffer the appropriate fate...so clearly Stuart has a guilty conscience pirat

Porridge, Stovies, Haggis...all good healthy Scottish food...don't know what any of you are complaining about

Guilty conscience.....me ????? My character in G10 sleeps like a baby after a pint of rum:sleep:

I know what Porridge is have also had Haggis (just a giant Faggot really) but what the hell is a Stovies?
    Ardagor
    Ardagor
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 427
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by Ardagor Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:13 pm

There is a story from the Viking age in Norway that go as follows

A ruler had gathered his warriors and was feeding them in his main hall. The guests was not happy with the food and sat there grumbling. Finally one stood up, and said:

"Kill me my Lord King, but not with porridge!"

Post by Guest Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:16 pm

Well, my G10 character sleeps like a Lord after a pint of whisky (which tends to mean you're hangover free the next day too Wink )

Stovies are...interesting...there isn't a single recipe, each area has its own version. Basically it's a leftovers dish. It must contain potato, onion, dripping/gravy and either lamb or beef (unless veggie of course-never chicken or sausages, regardless of their origin). It should be moist but not runny. The potatoes should be sliced thickly and disintegrating, not chunky or mashed. It should be served with oatcakes and beetroot....and either a good Scottish ale or a generous dram

It's the sort of dish you can easily make after a long day at work or are a hungover student, and it's cheap and cheerful...lot of pubs, esp in the highlands, have a version as a cheap lunch...or you can pay a fortune for it in a fancy restaurant in Edinburgh, most probably run by a kilt-wearing Englishman

Post by Guest Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:22 pm

Ardagor wrote:There is a story from the Viking age in Norway that go as follows

A ruler had gathered his warriors and was feeding them in his main hall. The guests was not happy with the food and sat there grumbling. Finally one stood up, and said:

"Kill me my Lord King, but not with porridge!"

What's the origin of the story? Not something I recall from any of the sagas I've read Smile Next year at work we're hosting a travelling exhibition about the Vikings and i am planning to do a public talk on Viking feasting and food...this would be a great one to include Smile
    revvaughan
    revvaughan
    King
    King

Number of posts : 778
    Registration date : 2008-07-15

Post by revvaughan Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:27 am

Is there a declaration of war against the Spanish by the French? Isn't that what it would take to make the action of said corsairs legal?

England has issue with commerce being raided in her sphere of influence we she is not bloody well doing the raiding.
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:17 am

I know I started in the game a bit late, so maybe I missed the French declaration of war against Spain, but then again the two main candidates for the throne are either of French or Austrian origin, so has France declared war on its own candidate or against Vienna?

Maybe the refusal to accept Rodger the Dodger as king of Spain is enough for a declaration of war, or at least it is viewed as such in Calais if not in Paris.

Wonder if anyone is willing to sign the Partition treaty, or will it remain simply a statement of intent.

Just out of interest, do any of you know if it is possible to send missions from your colonial cities? I am thinking of the new ambassador travel times, If instead I order a mission to go from Batavia or Capetown, it should I hope cut down travel times, just not sure if it works, or do they need to come from the Homeland Provinces?
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:20 am

J Flower wrote:I know I started in the game a bit late, so maybe I missed the French declaration of war against Spain, but then again the two main candidates for the throne are either of French or Austrian origin, so has France declared war on its own candidate or against Vienna?

Maybe the refusal to accept Rodger the Dodger as king of Spain is enough for a declaration of war, or at least it is viewed as such in Calais if not in Paris.

Wonder if anyone is willing to sign the Partition treaty, or will it remain simply a statement of intent.

Just out of interest, do any of you know if it is possible to send missions from your colonial cities? I am thinking of the new ambassador travel times, If instead I order a mission to go from Batavia or Capetown, it should I hope cut down travel times, just not sure if it works, or do they need to come from the Homeland Provinces?

Too date no one has declared war against anyone else.....the legal basis for recent events on the High Seas (not in peoples territorial waters) is:

1) Philip of Anjou is King of Spain, King of Naples, Duke of Milan & Duke of Flanders. Some parts of his claim may be disputed its possible that some of these titles may go to Charles von Hapsburg. But what is not disputed by polite society is that Rodger the Dodger is a questionable birth of unknown father with no claim at all to the inheritence of Carlos II and it is the Duty of the legitimate heirs to raise forces and crush the usurper and any traitors who support his vile claims.

2) Following his Christain and sacred Dynastic Duty to uphold his inherited claims & those of the Royal House of Bourbon against the usurper Philip of Anjou appointed Philippe d'Orleans (Son of the Duc of Orleans, Husband Francoise Marie de Bourbon and Brother of the Duchess of Lorraine, relation of Louis XIV in lots of ways) Viceroy of Flanders and gave him a commission of Array.

3) Philip d'Orleans in turn issued Letters of Marque against the Rebels and authority to recruit to various Captains in his service. To date no action against Rebel forces but ships and men (Royal & Ducal subjects) have been pressed into Spanish (Bourbon) service with many more volunteering and orders have been placed with French Naval Yards.

Basically is anyone saying that Rodger the Dodger is the true King of Spain or that near relations of the King of France lack authority to raise forces in such circumstances and that their Captains have broken any standard protocul in such matters? If any Gentleman does believe that Piracy rather then perfectly legal recruiting has happened they are free to take up the matter in a French Court or with the King of France.

Just beware the Black Spot........sorry I ment to say...... beware of being counter sured for Slander:D

Ref sending Envoys from local bases I assume the Ship carrying the letter of appointment goes at the same speed as one carrying a Actual Envoy. Where you might gain is that a "local" who is used to the conditions and knows the way/local transport contacts by move faster than a chap getting over a long sea trip and getting used to conditions having to find guides etc.
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:56 pm

J Flower wrote:Just out of interest, do any of you know if it is possible to send missions from your colonial cities? I am thinking of the new ambassador travel times, If instead I order a mission to go from Batavia or Capetown, it should I hope cut down travel times, just not sure if it works, or do they need to come from the Homeland Provinces?

Pass.

Diplomacy is a bothersome subject to the Rozwi, so I try to find other means to get around it.

Rozwi's ambassador (the character is listed as such on my forces sheet) to the Dutch at Capetown heads the trade mission there. I sent the chap at the same time as purchasing the mission. Ultimately the character isn't your usual ambassador, I'd say, but is a glorified merchant acting on Rozwi's Changamire's behalf.

Do the recipient nations still receive information as to which ambassadors are at their court - or territories? As so far I'm not listed as having received any ambassador/envoy yet - but the chaps dispatched to me aren't at my capital, and are hundreds of miles distant from it. [I'm going to try and resolve this issue this coming turn]

I previously tried to send an ambassador to Portugal's Mozambique, but the order wasn't carried through and it was explained that it wouldn't work. Got to wonder if I had sent a mission along with this attempt, would it have worked since it did in Capetown?
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Number of posts : 622
    Registration date : 2009-04-07

Post by jamesbond007 Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:40 pm

[quote="Stuart Bailey"]
    J Flower wrote:I know I started in the game a bit late, so maybe I missed the French declaration of war against Spain, but then again the two main candidates for the throne are either of French or Austrian origin, so has France declared war on its own candidate or against Vienna?

Too date no one has declared war against anyone else.....the legal basis for recent events on the High Seas (not in peoples territorial waters) is

Of course. Should be said that there is a war currently going on in India. Perhaps Europe next.?
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:21 pm

It should be Africa. Unless someone beats me to it.

A month's rest in camp now the army is at the jumping off point, then invasion.

At least that's the plan.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:31 pm

jamesbond007 wrote:

Of course. Should be said that there is a war currently going on in India. Perhaps Europe next.?
    [/quote]

I of course am wrong and should have been more specific when I said no one has declared war yet.......what I should have said is that no one has declared war in Europe yet.

I would hasten to add that the Corsairs in no way consider Indian or African Wars and letters of Marque to be in any way inferior to European ones. After all the record individual prize is probably held by a Indian Ocean prize.

Red Sea round here we come?????????? If someone makes with the letters of Marque. But I draw the line at Eastern African fishing boats.
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:48 am

It is probably a legitimate argument that as His Most Christian Majesty has publicly refused to accept Rodrigo as king of Spain, then he loyal servant in Calais can be excused for taking action against Spanish ships.

It has probably upset the English, Scots & Dutch because it is a hobby of theirs to take Spanish vessels.

Suspect that if the Corsairs were active in the Med rather than the Channel then no body -apart from Rodrigo- would really care.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 3:13 pm