Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+23
one grain of grain
sammon
Thelittleemperor
Admin
Hapsburg
Goldstar
Nexus06
Verming2
Ardagor
Verming
The Revenant
revvaughan
jamesbond007
Kingmaker
Rozwi_Game10
Stuart Bailey
J Flower
Bearlord
Basileus
Deacon
the great unwashed
coffeedog14
MarkTurner26
27 posters

Game 10

Basileus
    Basileus
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 458
    Registration date : 2011-07-01

Game 10 - Page 37 Empty Re: Game 10

Post by Basileus Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:46 pm

Large positions don't have to be expensive. In game 10 I am keeping France to the usual turn fee's. So far it has worked ok. I think there is a risk in the game of trying to do too much because in a sense, the options are near on infinite within reason. So my advice to a new player would be, perhaps like life, have a plan, stick to it, don't get too distracted.
    Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 366
    Registration date : 2009-01-23

Post by Marshal Bombast Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:45 pm

Basileus wrote:Large positions don't have to be expensive. In game 10 I am keeping France to the usual turn fee's. So far it has worked ok. I think there is a risk in the game of trying to do too much because in a sense, the options are near on infinite within reason. So my advice to a new player would be, perhaps like life, have a plan, stick to it, don't get too distracted.

Similar for me with Russia, I'm only spending double for a bit as I recently joined and am reorganising to my play style.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2568
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:50 pm

Basileus wrote:Large positions don't have to be expensive. In game 10 I am keeping France to the usual turn fee's. So far it has worked ok. I think there is a risk in the game of trying to do too much because in a sense, the options are near on infinite within reason. So my advice to a new player would be, perhaps like life, have a plan, stick to it, don't get too distracted.

Unlike the tiny French Corsair position which some how manages to spend more than the usual turn fee on a regular basis.....Sadly style and making sure you are noticed at Court costs money and a Privateer without style is just a better dressed Pirate!

For info on Ottoman positions if you run the Crimean Khanate (which historically lasted to 1770) you either have to develop a interest in farming or Slave raiding.  With active Russian, Austria and Polish player and no active Sultan in G10 the latter is option is just asking to get jumped on from a great height.

Think the better Islamic starting positions are Egypt & Persia.  Medium sized powers a bit away from most of the action but not too far away which you can play at your own speed and slowly develop
    tkolter
    tkolter
    Viscount
    Viscount

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2018-06-15

Post by tkolter Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:01 pm

The Crimean Khanate is on the end of the Silk Road so could work on that trade, small industries such as making knives and swords, farming, fishing, printing and maybe open a University there are legitimate options for them.

EDIT::
    Okay my position choices in Game 10 besides Pirates are -
    Crimea
    Denmark
    Abyssinia
    Moghul India

So well Crimea could be interesting lots of neighbors.

Denmark has lots of options.

Abyssinia is Ethiopian region so has promise and is a bit off the beaten path.

Moghul India has some of the same benefits as Abyssinia.

Hummmm?
    tkolter
    tkolter
    Viscount
    Viscount

Post by tkolter Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:40 pm

Sent in my country requests my first choice is DENMARK and my second choice if that one is taken is ABYSSINIA so let's see which one I get.

Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Marshal Bombast Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:45 pm

Good luck with which ever you get. Denmark should be easier to research as said above, just watch out for any Great Northern Wars.

Don't forget to send letters if you have the time and inclination as it adds a fun dimension to the game. It can even give some help and advice without having to ask your in game characters, though just like them you might want to add salt to the replies Smile

Enjoy!
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:56 pm

Good luck indeed.

Lots of folks here willing to give advice. It might or might not be worth what you pay for it!

Just remember recruits are gold. Spend them carefully. Somewhere around here is my beginner's guide, which I think is pretty damn brilliant. Did I mention how humble I am?

Post by Guest Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:09 pm

Good luck and enjoy Smile

As others have said, Denmark is easier to research online...

...however I'm hoping you get Abyssinia simply so we can look forward to the Great Southern War as the Rozwi and Abyssinia battle for domination of Africa Very Happy
    Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Marshal Bombast Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:14 pm

Jason wrote:Good luck and enjoy Smile

As others have said, Denmark is easier to research online...

...however I'm hoping you get Abyssinia simply so we can look forward to the Great Southern War as the Rozwi and Abyssinia battle for domination of Africa Very Happy

Or join forces with Roy, unite Africa and then colonise Europe Game 10 - Page 37 2962972013

Post by Guest Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:20 pm

Hmmm...Abyssinia can build Trebuchets can't it...so under the Marshal's suggestion we can look forward to their return to Europe Wink
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Number of posts : 661
    Registration date : 2015-08-15

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:06 am

Hmm, I thought Moghul India was active (or it was?) I was going to send them a letter to try and create some sort of Indian Ocean trade link and a prospective grain purchase. Is it only Japan and Rozwi that are the only non-European active in Game 10? I think there's Kwantung China, if I remember correctly? The Far East is too far for Rozwi though. Arab and Indian merchants will be active on the Swahili Coast and further south, but not Asians.

The trouble with Abyssinia, to my mind, is the Ethiopian Orthodox Church. I was watching the player tackling Abyssinia in Game 8, looked like they were doing a good job, but reading about the church - and watching that BBC4 program on Africa the other month, specifically the Abyssinian bits, made me realise that I'm glad Rozwi is an easy religious position. Trying to understand Orthodoxy and communicating with Rome and the other Orthodox Churches would be too difficult for me.
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:20 am

Hmm, a possibly active Abyssinia and an active Portuguese East Africa. That would be two Christian nations active on my side of Africa, with substantial holdings and power to draw upon. Might tip the balance and upset the status quo. The Abyssinian army isn't too shabby either, in defending it's homeland (as World history attests). If Abyssinia did ever become active, an Islamic counter in North Africa or the Middle East would make for an interesting game.

Here's hoping Denmark becomes active Laughing
    tkolter
    tkolter
    Viscount
    Viscount

Post by tkolter Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:17 pm

I'm the leader of the mighty and noble nation of Abyssinia!

Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:59 pm

Only 3,293 miles / 5,300 km between Gondar and Khami, so I think Africa should be big enough for the two of us!

If you really want to upset the apple cart, try proselytising in Sub-Saharan Africa and make a big deal about it. The Catholic Church will love it and the various priestly orders won't half get their cassocks in a twist Very Happy

Go to town making the most of the various monolithic rock-cut churches and religious artefacts and treasures, not to mention the Saints and how Abyssinia has an older history with Christianity than a lot of European countries, and this will really boost your Honour score. Oh, then there's the work combating the spread of Islam and being the region's main bastion of Christianity, and the various schools and seats of learning that Abyssinia offers the World.

It won't be long before there's two Africans reaching the heights of the Honour Table Razz

[Africa's Great Civilisations, presented by Henry Louis Gates Jr. This is the TV show that I recently watched that has a bit on Abyssinia, and (Rozwi's) Pre- and Post- Great Zimbabwe. I found it useful. There's also the Asante Union.]
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:33 pm

I've been trying to think on the big battle mentioned in that TV show, between an Islamic Sultanate and a Ethiopean/Portuguese force. I'm thinking it must be this -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abyssinian%E2%80%93Adal_war

Wikipedia wrote:""The Abyssinian–Adal war was a military conflict between the Ethiopian Empire and the Adal Sultanate that took place from 1529 until 1543. Abyssinian troops consisted of Amhara, Tigrayan and Agew tribes. Adal forces consisted mostly of Somali tribes.

Background
    Islam was introduced to the Horn of Africa early on from the Arabian peninsula, shortly after the hijra. In the late 9th century, Al-Yaqubi wrote that Muslims were living along the northern Somalia seaboard. He also mentioned that the Adal kingdom had its capital in the city, suggesting that the Adal Sultanate with Zeila as its headquarters dates back to at least the 9th or 10th centuries. According to I.M. Lewis, the polity was governed by local Somali dynasties, who also ruled over the similarly-established Sultanate of Mogadishu in the Benadir region to the south. Adal's history from this founding period forth would be characterized by a succession of battles with neighbouring Abyssinia. Ahmed fighters were using bows and arrows.

Between 1529 and 1543, the military leader Imam Ahmad ibn Ibrahim al-Ghazi defeated several Ethiopian emperors and embarked on a conquest referred to as the Futuh Al-Habash ("Conquest of Abyssinia"), which brought three-quarters of Christian Abyssinia under the power of the Muslim Sultanate of Adal. With an army mainly composed of Somalis, Al-Ghazi's forces and their Ottoman allies came close to extinguishing the ancient Ethiopian kingdom. However, the Abyssinians managed to secure the assistance of Cristóvão da Gama's Portuguese troops and maintain their domain's autonomy. Both polities in the process exhausted their resources and manpower, which resulted in the contraction of both powers and changed regional dynamics for centuries to come. Many historians trace the origins of hostility between Somalia and Ethiopia to this war. Some scholars also argue that this conflict proved, through their use on both sides, the value of firearms such as the matchlock musket, cannons and the arquebus over traditional weapons.""

Anyway, Cristóvão da Gama gives a nice link between Portugal and Abyssinia to establish diplomatic relations should they wish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crist%C3%B3v%C3%A3o_da_Gama
    tkolter
    tkolter
    Viscount
    Viscount

Post by tkolter Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:59 pm

I can't see it on the game map does my country have any access to the sea, I can't build ships, but making a trade port would be nice as part of my plans.

tkolter
    tkolter
    Viscount
    Viscount

Post by tkolter Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:49 pm

Is there a list of active countries somewhere?

But my first turn will mostly be prospecting the hell out of my territory without valued commodities trade is kind of pointless.

The region IRL has salt and phosphorous vital to preserving food and fertilizing soil. Marble of high quality. Gold, diamonds and emeralds. Copper. Coal.

Seriously sending out say 50 expeditions to prospect should turn up something. Although why isn't this known to me nothing is available at all at the start maybe that's normal though.

Then will do some other small things.

Not can you do unlisted actions such as have some academies work on agriculture or improving mining expertise?

I'd love elephant units with cannons on them or mortars to later on. And add on some armor and long musket riflemen.

Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Marshal Bombast Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:02 pm

tkolter wrote:I can't see it on the game map does my country have any access to the sea, I can't build ships, but making a trade port would be nice as part of my plans.

Looking at the Africa map in the newspaper May 1701 looks like Abyssinia is landlocked by a small strip of land owned by Sennar.

I think that the active country list is held by Richard to keep us guessing, best guess is to see who is active in the papers or on here but even then that's no guarantee.

You can train recruits as prospectors and have them settle an area. This gives a chance each turn I think to find something of worth and saves sending out lots of different prospecting parties though it takes a year to train them in an academy type set up.

I would think of my long term goals and plan for building to those, perhaps asking personalities for their advice but they usually have their own hidden agenda so I quietly test them to see how they react. Richard always manages to put doubt into my mind without much effort as I run through multiple scenarios Smile
    Ardagor
    Ardagor
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 427
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by Ardagor Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:30 pm

tkolter wrote:Is there a list of active countries somewhere?

But my first turn will mostly be prospecting the hell out of my territory without valued commodities trade is kind of pointless.

The region IRL has salt and phosphorous vital to preserving food and fertilizing soil. Marble of high quality. Gold, diamonds and emeralds. Copper. Coal.

Seriously sending out say 50 expeditions to prospect should turn up something. Although why isn't this known to me nothing is available at all at the start maybe that's normal though.

Then will do some other small things.

Not can you do unlisted actions such as have some academies work on agriculture or improving mining expertise?

I'd love elephant units with cannons on them or mortars to later on. And add on some armor and long musket riflemen.

50 prospecting expeditions will be a bit over the top, 3-4 is probably better and they should avoid prospecting the same area. To many and they will just check the same area multiple times and find nothing new. It is also necessary to wait a few months before prospecting in the same area again or chances for finding anything is much reduced. Also remember that a prospecting party is 4 men from your recruiting pool and they can get killed and lost in various ways.

It is the same from everyone, a new position have no knowledge of the location of any mineral resources even if they where known in the region at the time. You start from scratch in all things.
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:01 pm

Map from September 1702 Game 10 newspaper - this is just part of the (full) Africa map

Game 10 - Page 37 Abyssinia
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2568
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:51 pm

Ref Trade I think the new Government of Abyssinia may wish to note that this is the age of the Coffee House's like Lloyds of London (which also sold Tea & Hot Chocolate to the ship owners and brokers who's favourite watering hole it was) and Coffee beans basically come from the highland areas of Arabia and Abyssinia. Rather than 50 prospecting missions what about spending the money on Coffee House's?

If best quality beans make it down from the Highlands and the smell of roasting Mocha (see map) beans start to drift across the sea the merchants of the world will come!

As for religion just play up the fact that you are a Christain (With Own rites but loyal too and accepted by the Papacy), the Oldest Christain Kingdom not under Islam and the direct heir of Soloman and the Queen of Sheba and Paster John. Which makes you multiple times more socially acceptable than certain African Chiefs who still worship Spirits and Rocks etc.

Ref the Army you might like to note that the Portugese contingent who survived 1541-43 did not go home but settled with local wives and gave rise to a hereditary regiment of matchlock-men which still existed as late as 1750. Another distinctive unit was the Black Horse.....Black Slave Troops of the Emperor riding on imported Arab Horses from Sinnar and equiped with Chain Mail and 14 foot lances.

Seems a bit like the Ottoman Jannisaries and Manlukes to me only Christain rather tha Muslim.

Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:16 pm

My quick google suggests that the Abyssinian Orthodox were at the time under the Coptic Orthodox pope of Alexandria.

The Copts are not in communion with the rest of the Orthodox or the Roman Catholics.

That said, there is a rich vein of roleplaying there if you want to play it out. Returning to communion with either Rome or the other Orthodox would be interesting. If Rome, you would likely get support from European powers. The Orthodox is probably an easier road, but the best you could hope for there is some help from Russia since there aren't many Orthodox nations. They're subjects in a lot of places. If you returned to communion with the Orthodox though, you could vie with Russia for leadership in the Orthodox world if that appealed.

Or you could just play up the Christians surrounded by heathens, and see where that gets you Very Happy

I do think you'll want to conquer a neighbor early to get to the sea for the exact reason you state.

You want to be able to have a port and control your own trade routes.
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:52 am

I second Stuart's suggestion of Coffee.

I was looking up Ethiopia's top trade exports in a 1987 book I have and Coffee, Hides and (animal) Skins are listed.

From Rozwi's economy I know that animal skins sell (other player's will agree, and look at the historic Hudson Bay Company and Muscovy Trading Company), so would be somewhere to invest to start with.

Stuart Bailey wrote:Which makes you multiple times more socially acceptable than certain African Chiefs who still worship Spirits and Rocks etc.

To be fair, Rozwi hasn't nailed down their religious beliefs, yet. Apart from that one time where we sacrificed that young lad (read minus one recruit to the recruit pool) and offered tons of slaughtered game to the ancestral spirits (to avert the 1701 famine - it didn't work!). Once the Ovambo war is done and dusted (I'd give it a while longer - and that's just to let it start!) Mwari should make an appearance in the newspaper.

Its not that Rozwi is against the White Man's (and now the non-Bantu African's) Nailed God. Its just that we don't like people messing with our worship of "Spirits and Rocks". We do make mention to people that we meat meet that we don't appreciate meddling elephant elephant
    tkolter
    tkolter
    Viscount
    Viscount

Post by tkolter Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:20 pm

Deacon wrote:My quick google suggests that the Abyssinian Orthodox were at the time under the Coptic Orthodox pope of Alexandria.

The Copts are not in communion with the rest of the Orthodox or the Roman Catholics.

That said, there is a rich vein of roleplaying there if you want to play it out. Returning to communion with either Rome or the other Orthodox would be interesting. If Rome, you would likely get support from European powers. The Orthodox is probably an easier road, but the best you could hope for there is some help from Russia since there aren't many Orthodox nations. They're subjects in a lot of places. If you returned to communion with the Orthodox though, you could vie with Russia for leadership in the Orthodox world if that appealed.

Or you could just play up the Christians surrounded by heathens, and see where that gets you Very Happy

I do think you'll want to conquer a neighbor early to get to the sea for the exact reason you state.

You want to be able to have a port and control your own trade routes.

Actually their closest religious ties are to the Coptic Church AND Lutheranism (one of the Saints of the Church went to meet Martin Luther himself and he agreed the Abyssinian Faith as he called it and his religious principles are in concert in fact both can get Communion at the others holy places a huge deal if your a Lutheran). So well realistically the best choice for religious approaching the Europeans are Protestant Lutheran nations and due to history Portugal. And as Orthodox Christians could approach other Orthodox Churches on common principles. And then they also are nice to the Jewish people and so could work with them. But the Roman Catholic Church would be a big problem.

But I decided to spend only 400,000 ashbiras the first month some from the treasury and from my leaders personal wealth and what is surplus from expenses my first turn.

So need to keep things simple:
    Prospecting with say 6 Teams.  [12,000 paid for by the leader)
    Four Academies
    <> School of Farming
    <> College of Agricultural Research
    <> A War College
    <> Administrators School
    Imperial Coffee House  [leaders expense]
    Army Camp
    Trade

Will approach with diplomatic messages now does anyone know the names of rules in the Scandinavian Countries, Russia and Portugal? But will send holy men to go directly to Churches and ask for money to help the Church and nation fight Islam in Europe bypassing the rulers go to the people and see how that works but how should I set that up a Diplomatic Mission costs but focusing on gathering money any ideas?
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:41 pm

I'd address mail initially by title (King of Sweden, Tsar of Russia, King of Portugal) and go from there. Players will understand.

Wikipedia entry on the Abyssinian Orthodox For those who find this kind of thing interesting. I know I do.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 8:50 pm