Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+17
Papa Clement
one grain of grain
Ardagor
WhiteRose
The Revenant
Kingmaker
count-de-monet
Hapsburg
Rozwi_Game10
revvaughan
Basileus
Stuart Bailey
Marshal Bombast
J Flower
Mike
Deacon
tkolter
21 posters

Game 10

tkolter
    tkolter
    Viscount
    Viscount

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2018-06-15

Game 10 - Page 14 Empty Re: Game 10

Post by tkolter Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:22 pm

Expect a statement by Abyssinia in the paper assuming they print it from the pen of the Emperor.

Post by Guest Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:59 pm

It seems I owe someone an apology

To however nicked the letters I was sending to France and Sweden, I'm so sorry the letters were so dull and boring. If I knew what you were going to do, I'd have put something juicy in them for you.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2571
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:39 pm

Jason wrote:It seems I owe someone an apology

To however nicked the letters I was sending to France and Sweden, I'm so sorry the letters were so dull and boring.  If I knew what you were going to do, I'd have put something juicy in them for you.

Such as Question

- Scots Government full of secret Jacobites?

- Scots about to declare war on Danes?

- Scots investments in privateering?
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:17 am

Ah, Richard. No doubt somebody wanted to use their agents cleverly to steal correspondence and were imprecise in their instructions. Or they asked what somebody said and the agent got clever, just trying to figure out what someone's political stance was. Or, the agent just didn't follow their instructions.

such is the danger of using agents...

Agents are awesome... until they aren't.
    tkolter
    tkolter
    Viscount
    Viscount

Post by tkolter Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:47 am

Now need ample investments to build up my economy from some recent, damage, lets see:
    Honey
    A Regional Yeast-like Crop
    (Used to later produce Mead as honey wine the Ottoman's used to buy it a lot since alcohol made from honey wasn't banned in the Koran)
    Beef up Coffee Production

Then improve iron mining as an export it can be smelted in small amounts for local use I'm sure but can only export the raw ore.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:44 am

Ethiopia is known for gold, diamond and sapphire mining. Not sure where as it relates to historical Abbysinia, but I'd be inclined to send out prospectors. If you can find any of these they are likely to be much more profitable.

The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 489
    Registration date : 2008-08-03

Post by The Revenant Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:43 am

tkolter wrote:Beef up Coffee Production

Are we talking the early invention of Bovril here?

Post by Guest Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:03 am

I have seen some real wild card, ahistorical outcomes in this game, but 18th Century Ethiopian Bovril would be right up there!
    & in other news, is it me or is the erroneous typo in the Trade List? No England in Americas trade?
    tkolter
    tkolter
    Viscount
    Viscount

Post by tkolter Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:59 pm

I can't prospect again for a few more months, I did, found some things.

And Abyssinia didn't have much slavery but was a source of slave raiding among its pagan population and that ends now and backed by the full force of our cavalry and army. You saw the punishments the first ones caught will be shown no mercy.

And I will work on making Mead common mead and more distilled strong alcohol mead, we have the means for that, with some investments and I want to bump Coffee production some. Former slavers will get the first licenses by the Empire for Mead and related production.

But in the end my Emperor is Emperor placed where he is by God and he will do what is right by all his people Christian, Muslim, Jew or Heathen. Its funny Christians already couldn't be enslaved under the real world laws so I just extended this.

And its helping with one nation Russia, whom I plan to tighten ties to, why not they are Orthodox Christians even with some differences we have some similar common views. Now I just need to find out if any Lutheran nations are being played Martin Luther himself said the Abyssinian Church and Lutheranism are in communion its a big plus for opening up diplomatic ties.

Plus well a Christian nation that protect Islam early in its founding is not bad when dealing with Muslims I have no qualms there are any Muslim nations being played?

Post by Guest Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:38 pm

Kerensky wrote:& in other news, is it me or is the erroneous typo in the Trade List? No England in Americas trade?

Must admit, wondered that too
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:00 pm

Seems the King wants the Sieur du Gue to join the Army in Italy as a "advisor".

Wonder if this could be confusion with another character of mine who had a certain reputation for killing Doges (It was only two honest) and alarming Italians?

Not fully sure how the Navy can help the Army in the middle of Lombardy - what do they want the Sieur to do? Int Work? Logistics? River Warfare on the river Po? Or does the High Command think the best way to defend its ally the Duke of Savoy and King Philips lands in Italy is to make operations more coastal?

Dont you just love the smell of burning ports in the morning! They smell like kippers.

If its int work must remember to pack my lump hammer......think a certain Mayor who called my character an "unlicenced Pirate" is clearly a good place to start. My letters of Marque are always in perfect order!Very Happy

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:08 pm

Jason wrote:
    Kerensky wrote:& in other news, is it me or is the erroneous typo in the Trade List? No England in Americas trade?

Must admit, wondered that too

The Good News is that the "Compagnie des Isles D' Amerique" is up to number three on the Americas list..........must be the really friendly and charming sales staff they employ as well as their really cheap prices.

Thinking about following the Dutch into the world of fire & marine insurance.

Post by Guest Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:50 pm

Stuart Bailey wrote:Seems the King wants the Sieur du Gue to join the Army in Italy as a "advisor".

Wonder if this could be confusion with another character of mine who had a certain reputation for killing Doges (It was only two honest) and alarming Italians?

Not fully sure how the Navy can help the Army in the middle of Lombardy - what do they want the Sieur to do? Int Work? Logistics? River Warfare on the river Po? Or does the High Command think the best way to defend its ally the Duke of Savoy and King Philips lands in Italy is to make operations more coastal?

Dont you just love the smell of burning ports in the morning!  They smell like kippers.

If its int work must remember to pack my lump hammer......think a certain Mayor who called my character an "unlicenced Pirate" is clearly a good place to start.  My letters of Marque are always in perfect order!Very Happy  

I've had a quick chat with that renowned Scottish legal practice, Flywheel, Shyster, and Flywheel, and they assure me such any actions Stuart undertakes are completely legal and beyond reproach.
    However we do feel the need to remind Stuart that Arborath Smokies are a copyright brand and name, and any attempt to sell products (such as kippers) infringing that after burning any ports will result in legal action.

(and yes I know a Smokie ain't a kipper but most don't know that Wink )

Post by Guest Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:02 am

I think Sieur du Gue’s tour south should take in Cevennes, and then maybe ‘“Turn Left at Alberquerque” to take in Pondicherry. I am sure a militant and brutal suppression will bring everything rapidly under control. Absolutely no chance of any further rebellions.
    & on a side note, are any of your ships involved in Far Eastern trade Stuart? I am sure I was on one of yours last night, masquerading as a Wedding Venue. Big Dutchman (Afrikaans) captain & a predominately Pinoy Crew. I got a blank look from the Captain when I asked if he was in the employ of the Corsairs aka Claude Forbin aka Stuart Bailey, but I reckon that was just him bluffing & playing for time.
    I have finally smoked out your true game plan, running an empire of high class & high cost entertainment venues across the Far East.
    Your cunning plot is finally unmasked for all to see!
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:49 pm

As one of the most lawful positions in the game the Corsairs have huge respect for copy right law and Scots lawyers and would never dream of trying to pass a common kipper off as a famous Arborath Smokie.

Actually it remains a sore point that almost all ships which have been "pressed" into King Philips Navy are carrying boreing "general goods".
    Did press some carrying "livestock" which got turned into smoked and spiced meat West Indies Style. But were is the Gold? Slaves? Rum?

Damn looks like my long term master plan has been found out! But while the "Additional Orders/Diplomacy/Toading for the French Corsairs (inc their friends, lovers, shareholders, business partners)" has spread a bit away from the Channel and now includes such famous night spots as the Bucket of Blood, The Tortuga Lounge & Grill & Madame Jeanne Dusky Rose Bordello it has not spread to the far East.

Actually while I like accounts of the Golden Age and the Red Sea Round......Forbin was actually one of a very small and select group of people who attended the Wedding of Louis XIV to his second wife and was a much a Courtier as he was a Sailor so I am playing the Corsairs as Colberts old faction at Court and my current reading is James Buchan Book "John Law - A Scottish Adventurer of the C18" ISBN 978-0-85705-338-17. Who later was to have a lot to do with the Kings Nephew Phillip d'Orleans (current Viceroy of Flanders in G10).

The only problem is that the more you dig into the French Court the more ammo comes up for Richard to batter French players in all other games! Quite frankly you are safer at Sea or on Campaign!!

Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:58 pm

I was blissfully unaware of the existence of Bovril until this thread.

Now I shall have nightmares about the stuff.

Post by Guest Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:49 am

& somewhat humorously related to Bovril & G10 politics...Game 10 - Page 14 Fe8d1410
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Number of posts : 661
    Registration date : 2015-08-15

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:25 pm

I think that Rozwi (we have part of modern day RSA inside our borders) and the UDP (Kaap Kolonie) will have to fight it out to have first go at selling an African Borvil!  tongue  jocolor

Wikipedia - Bovril wrote:Licensed production
    Bovril is also produced in South Africa by the Bokomo division of Pioneer Foods.

During the Siege of Ladysmith in the Second Boer War, a Bovril-like paste was produced from horse meat within the garrison. Nicknamed Chevril (a portmanteau of Bovril and cheval, French for horse) it was produced by boiling down horse or mule meat to a jelly paste and serving it as a beef tea.

Toss up between whether the winner of the scrap should have Bovril or Marmite, though?

Wikipedia - Marmite wrote:South Africa
    Marmite is manufactured by licence in South Africa by Pioneer Foods in traditional and cheese flavour.

Coming soon to Game 10... The Bovril Wars of southern Africa Game 10 - Page 14 2962972013
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:38 am

Deacon wrote:
    I was blissfully unaware of the existence of Bovril until this thread.

Now I shall have nightmares about the stuff.

Plenty of worse food's than Bovril !! Though I consider it a special circumstance food.......Like a donner kabab should only be eaten when drunk I think Bovril only really seems nice at half time in a football or Rugby match were your team is getting hammered and its so cold you have lost all feeling and are rapidly lossing the will to live.

But I am currently struggling to think of much which could be worse in any circumstances than than cheese flavoured Marmite!

Still we are talking about a Nation who think Biltong is a great food and going surfing with Great White Sharks is fun.
    one grain of grain
    one grain of grain
    Baron
    Baron

Number of posts : 117
    Registration date : 2012-11-17

Post by one grain of grain Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:56 am

Dear Sir's,

I would like to point out to one and all that "Marmite" is nothing more than a cheap knock-off of that great product "Vegemite" and any statements to the contrary are nothing more than scandalous libel.
    As for the Great white shark it performs an important part in natures food chain, they gather at the cape of good hope to pick off the old, sick and low grade swimmers when the yearly migration of Rozwi
    like lemmings jumping over a cliff plunge into the ocean on their long swim to "Gods own Country" to improve their poor diet and cure their scurvy by getting their thieving hands on our "Vegemite".

One Grain. Game 10 - Page 14 627167562

Post by Guest Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:16 pm

So, someone needs to discover Australia in G10, colonise it, invent vegemite...
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:25 pm

Think it would have to be the English. Vegemite is out of period for most of us, but bad food is always period for the English Laughing
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Number of posts : 661
    Registration date : 2015-08-15

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:47 pm

Tripe.

And I mean that to qualify for a bad food. Not a reply to Deacon's comment, since tripe is quite international.

Jellied eels however... pale

Post by Guest Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:53 pm

Just wait til I create a haggis-production industry...and export it all to Poland Wink
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:39 pm

Deacon wrote:
    Think it would have to be the English. Vegemite is out of period for most of us, but bad food is always period for the English Laughing

That the English are historically crap cooks is a vile slander probably spread by the French & Scots! And most of the evidence comes from a later period.........School Rice Pudding with plastic like skin, plus the other milk puddings like frog spawn and seagull vomit springs to mind.

Since the C18 English developed so many of the periods improvements in livestock and farming, had access to fish and other sea food plus access to many international products the raw materials used by their cooks would seem to be as good if not better than many other Nations.

The only possible problem would seem to be the fact that the C18 English drank so much that many meals must have equal to a trip to Caroline Street in Cardiff after the Rugby with food being valued for its ability to soak up huge amounts of beer, gin, cider, beer, port etc.
    Leading to the grease, fat and stodgy puddings like spotted dick which ever today can leave Italian's badly shaken even before they are introduced to Jellied Eels or mushy pea's.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 6:28 am