Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+17
jamesbond007
Stuart Bailey
Marshal Bombast
Goldstar
Mike
Prunesquallor
SteelCityTyke
The Revenant
Deacon
J Flower
Richard D. Watts
Basileus
Papa Clement
revvaughan
count-de-monet
tkolter
Jason2
21 posters

Game 10

Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 366
    Registration date : 2009-01-23

Game 10 - Page 33 Empty Re: Game 10

Post by Marshal Bombast Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:37 pm

G10 arrived earlier in the week with no changes to the Honour Table.
    1. Peace seems to have arrived in Western Europe with the French and Dutch confirming they’ve signed the peace treaty. Though I’ve lost the plot as to whether everyone’s signed the 2nd treaty of Ryswick, or different versions.

Given the Reichsarmee has moved away from Paris, I assume it’s the same one. Though they left the newly arrived Swedish army to twiddle their thumbs there in the winter following a forced march. It seems the rampaging French Army in Flanders nor the Austrian Hussars outside Paris got the memo in time.

2. The Dutch have agreed to sign the trade treaties that they can find. Hope they didn’t sign the Russian one and send it in thinking it was the peace treaty!

I do wonder whether war will spread elsewhere, like the Polish Commonwealth. Also given the action in the Ethopian Sea where Spanish Navy corvettes were overhauled by Austrian flagged frigata’s.

3. Innsbruck appears to be the scene of Spanish brigands attacking Spanish trade caravans, but more interestingly was why was so much hardy grain in the caravan in a Spanish caravan that far east?

4. Portugal shared news that King Pedro II has died and his son is now King John V. Welcome to the new player.

5. King Frederick IV of Denmark suddenly became more active over the issue of Sound Dues promptly ordering the impounding of merchant shipping, which is unlikely to be popular with the Scots or Dutch. I wonder if the Dutch Ostzee Fleet will take a detour and overwinter in Elsinore? Welcome (back?) to the game Denmark.

6. Heilsberg has declared for King Augustus, following the arrival of the Krongarde Regiment Colonel. Perhaps we’ll see a peaceful liberation of the Polish Commonwealth from the Regency Council? It’ll be interesting to see what Lithuania says after any meetings with the Saxon Ambassador.

7. Tuscany appears to be moving forward with trade facilities and future direction of investments following peace breaking out in Western Europe, even offering her own troops to help neighbours with brigand issues.

8. The Doge of Venice returned to the city to discuss important matters which may be linked to the civic improvements that he wants to make in Venetian society.

9. Constantinople saw the arrival of various Ottoman Empire leaders, with some deciding they weren’t going for a variety of reasons. The most interesting being I’m not an Ottoman, though they did send an ambassador to Anatolia

The new Sultan made his mark by proposing a change to the way children of the Sultan are raised and how the succession is decided. The Vizier that commented it could be detrimental to the Empire was quickly demoted.

10. Africa saw the Otumfuo-King question what more needs to be done to save his people from fire and famine. They’d joined with the Akanthene as previously discussed.

Apparently, that’s not good enough and there must be a full subjugation into the Greater Akan Union. In not doing so would lead to either the Otumfuo-King being labelled a rebel or his whole nation, and dealt with accordingly.

It appears the case of cannibalism has been solved, being down to a herbalist feeding a pack of dogs. Unfortunately, some of the dogs didn’t survive as they suffered from the same poison the herbalist was using to murder his victims.

11. Chinese troops have landed at Macao, apparently to be trained by the Dutch.

12. Interesting to see the number of changes in the East Europe trade area report this month. I wonder what the early months of 1707 will bring with the outbreak of peace.

Hapsburg, jamesbond007, Jason2 and Michael0 like this post

Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Number of posts : 676
    Registration date : 2019-06-16

Post by Jason2 Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:52 pm

Many thanks for such a comprehensive summary Marshal Smile Must admit these days, there is so much going on in G10 that I need to read the newspaper two or three times to get a handle on what has happened the last month.

I was a little surprised to read of the number of brigands involved at Innsbruck, just short of 700.

Marshal Bombast likes this post

jamesbond007
    King
    King

Number of posts : 621
    Registration date : 2009-04-07

Post by jamesbond007 Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:18 pm

The brigands at Innsbruck were ex Spanish ex vagrants. So their quality was low. They ran around for a while but several nations sent a few dragoons after them, so they were always going to be caught fairly soon.

Coming up to January and for a few months beyond I suspect there will be a few changes on the trade boards. Always an interesting read this time of year. As nations change places.

I suspect the Austrian flagged ships in the Ethiopian waters that attacked Spanish shipping were not Austrian. The fact they were Frigatas tells me who they were.

Hapsburg and Jason2 like this post

Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:32 pm

jamesbond007 wrote:The brigands at Innsbruck were ex Spanish ex vagrants. So their quality was low. They ran around for a while but several nations sent a few dragoons after them, so they were always going to be caught fairly soon.

Coming up to January and for a few months beyond I suspect there will be a few changes on the trade boards. Always an interesting read this time of year. As nations change places.

I suspect the Austrian flagged ships in the Ethiopian waters that attacked Spanish shipping were not Austrian. The fact they were Frigatas tells me who they were.

Thanks, good to get that extra background on the brigands Smile the sheer number threw me a bit.

Like you the Austrian frigatas did sound a bit...suggestive...to me.

And for something completely different, I am spending my time watching the (Rugby) World Cup, a proper sport, not like this strange perversion of "cricket" that has turned up in G7 and Scramble. I can well see G10 bringing true enlightenment to the games when Scotland codifies the "Ba game"...
    Warning-this post may contain nuts

jamesbond007 likes this post

jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:04 pm

Jason2 wrote:
    jamesbond007 wrote:The brigands at Innsbruck were ex Spanish ex vagrants. So their quality was low. They ran around for a while but several nations sent a few dragoons after them, so they were always going to be caught fairly soon.

Thanks, good to get that extra background on the brigands Smile the sheer number threw me a bit.

And for something completely different, I am spending my time watching the (Rugby) World Cup, a proper sport, not like this strange perversion of "cricket" that has turned up in G7 and Scramble.  I can well see G10 bringing true enlightenment to the games when Scotland codifies the "Ba game"...

I have to confess. I like both Rugby and Cricket. So watching them both today. As well as football scores. All sport. Normally at work on a Saturday but recovering from a Hernia op. So taking a bit of time off.
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Sat Sep 23, 2023 3:17 pm

jamesbond007 wrote:
    Jason2 wrote:

And for something completely different, I am spending my time watching the (Rugby) World Cup, a proper sport, not like this strange perversion of "cricket" that has turned up in G7 and Scramble.  I can well see G10 bringing true enlightenment to the games when Scotland codifies the "Ba game"...

I have to confess. I like both Rugby and Cricket. So watching them both today. As well as football scores. All sport. Normally at work on a Saturday but recovering from a Hernia op. So taking a bit of time off.

Hope you're recovering ok!

Must admit, not a big sports fan-Rugby Union and winter sports appeal but not a footie fan. And despite being in Aberdeenshire, really hate golf-a good walk ruined.

Maybe in Glory someone needs to revive the Olympics?
    Hapsburg
    Viscount
    Viscount

Number of posts : 160
    Registration date : 2008-06-20

Post by Hapsburg Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:35 pm

3. Innsbruck appears to be the scene of Spanish brigands attacking Spanish trade caravans, but more interestingly was why was so much hardy grain in the caravan in a Spanish caravan that far east?

In the September newspaper it was reported that the brigands captured a grain caravan heading to Naples. Well armed and mounted - wealthy vagrants  Game 10 - Page 33 1f609

Marshal Bombast likes this post

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2568
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:55 pm

Jason2 wrote:

Hope you're recovering ok!

Must admit, not a big sports fan-Rugby Union and winter sports appeal but not a footie fan.  And despite being in Aberdeenshire, really hate golf-a good walk ruined.

Maybe in Glory someone needs to revive the Olympics?

In RIB we have had the Iberian Games - bit like the Olympics but with added sports of Sling and Rope Dance plus a side event of Gladiators.

While in Scrabble the big sports seem to be cricket and Polo.

As for Glori we seem to have seen a fair amount of horse racing plus hunting, shoorting and fishing plus some bull fighting and boxing. But oddly the really popular sport in some games at least seems to be fox tossing. Not really sure why this is more popular than say bull baiting or cock fighting but for some reason it seems to be.

Personally in G7 would pay good cash to see a top notch fighting cock take on that damn Parrot of Godolphin.

Jason2 likes this post

Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Sun Sep 24, 2023 8:51 pm

I am not one for any sort of blood sport but the whole fox tossing has always seem incredibly strange and odd to me. You have to wonder at the sort of mind that went "I know, lets capture a fox, stick it in a sheet and throw it in the air and then see what happens..." It's up there with "what happens if I stick my hand in the blender when its on..."
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2568
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:29 pm

Jason2 wrote:I am not one for any sort of blood sport but the whole fox tossing has always seem incredibly strange and odd to me. You have to wonder at the sort of mind that went "I know, lets capture a fox, stick it in a sheet and throw it in the air and then see what happens..."  It's up there with "what happens if I stick my hand in the blender when its on..."

Big advantage in Rome is Burning over Glori is that instead of using your own character to go swimming in ice filled rivers and probably nearly drowning like several Czars in Glori or toss some irate fox into the air and probably get bit. You can obtain glori and a reputation as a sporting gent and even win an medal by OWNING a Chariot team.

At 100,000 Denerii a pop for each star race horse having chariot team of stars is a bit like taking part in the modern America's Cup in yachting. And like with the America's cup no on expects you to actually sail/drive the thing. A task best left too highly skilled and paid employees unless you want to make a total fool of yourself.

Same can also be said for owning your own team of Gladiators in Rome is Burning. Another sport left to highly trained professionals, since it seems that losses amongst the highly trained professionals were fairly light. For non professionals taking part could and was a death sentence.

Jason2 likes this post

Hapsburg
    Viscount
    Viscount

Post by Hapsburg Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:18 pm

With the war ended it only took me about 20 minutes to complete my turn!

Plenty of time to catch up on the letters I was unable to write for the November turn – I went to Riga to watch the football; took my turn but it never made it out of the suitcase  Very Happy  Lovely city and old town. Tried to visit Riga Castle but it is the residence of the President so no access.

Will try and work out who is playing Portugal, Denmark, Savoy and the Ottoman Empire, although I have a few ideas.

Jason2 likes this post

Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Marshal Bombast Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:28 am

Hapsburg wrote:With the war ended it only took me about 20 minutes to complete my turn!

Congrats on being able to do a bit more of what you want to rather than reacting to situations each month, as well as forward planning any campaigns.

I tend to spend too much time sorting my orders. On call this weekend so am writing the framework for next few months. Any one had any issues with their in game characters taking over the orders? The Tsar and Tsarina have gotten a bit carried away with Christmas and I don't have the heart to stop them lol. Won't say more about anything they may be ordering, you'll have to read the paper.

Hapsburg wrote:Plenty of time to catch up on the letters I was unable to write for the November turn – I went to Riga to watch the football; took my turn but it never made it out of the suitcase  Very Happy  Lovely city and old town. Tried to visit Riga Castle but it is the residence of the President so no access.

Will try and work out who is playing Portugal, Denmark, Savoy and the Ottoman Empire, although I have a few ideas.

Hope you enjoyed the football. I'd love to visit Eastern Europe sometime, and somethings [not many] are better than LGDR, or 'The Russia Game' as I refer to it as to my wife Very Happy Just bought 900+ page volume of The Cambridge History of Eighteenth Century Science for rest of today's interest!

Jason2 likes this post

Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:30 pm

Marshal Bombast wrote: Any one had any issues with their in game characters taking over the orders?  

I have this all the time. I want to do a few simple, straight-forward orders...and then Lord Melville just insists on making a long speech...

The book sounds fascinating by the way
    Hapsburg
    Viscount
    Viscount

Post by Hapsburg Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:02 pm

After travelling so far for the football it was more of a relief to fly back celebrating a win  Game 10 - Page 33 1f600  I will give Armenia away next month a miss, bit of a hot zone!

It is the detailed orders I found took the time during the war, for example when you have three, four or five armies, brigades or regiments on the move at the same time and all likely to become involved in a battle, raid or siege. Plenty of conditional orders.

I tend to group my orders geographically; if it is easier and quicker for Agema to follow, it must be cheaper for me  Game 10 - Page 33 1f602

I will look forward to the Christmas reporting from Moscow! Bit of a party in Vienna too.

Jason2 likes this post

Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Marshal Bombast Fri Oct 20, 2023 11:26 am

Hapsburg wrote:After travelling so far for the football it was more of a relief to fly back celebrating a win  Game 10 - Page 33 1f600  I will give Armenia away next month a miss, bit of a hot zone!

Don't blame you!

Hapsburg wrote:It is the detailed orders I found took the time during the war, for example when you have three, four or five armies, brigades or regiments on the move at the same time and all likely to become involved in a battle, raid or siege. Plenty of conditional orders.

I tend to group my orders geographically; if it is easier and quicker for Agema to follow, it must be cheaper for me  Game 10 - Page 33 1f602

I love detailed conditional orders but try not to do that to Richard as confusion can creep in, which is generally my fault of phrasing or trying to do too much in a single order. I'll put that down to 18th century communication problems and helps it feel realistic. Also I'll try to do the same thing in multiple locations where possible so Richard can just copy and paste.

Easier for Richard hopefully as you say.

Hapsburg wrote: I will look forward to the Christmas reporting from Moscow! Bit of a party in Vienna too.

Now order reply date's gone I'll remind everyone that the correct date to celebrate Christmas is 7th January - as I was reminded of last year in the paper lol. I know everyone's eager to open their presents but opening them nearly 2 weeks early sounds like we can't control yourselves Smile
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:49 pm

Marshal Bombast wrote:

Now order reply date's gone I'll remind everyone that the correct date to celebrate Christmas is 7th January - as I was reminded of last year in the paper lol. I know everyone's eager to open their presents but opening them nearly 2 weeks early sounds like we can't control yourselves Smile

One of the advantages of playing Scotland, New Years Eve is THE holiday...and we all know when that is Wink

Christmas Day is really just another working day with an extra Church service..and a bit too Papist for Good Presbyterians Very Happy
    Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Marshal Bombast Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:53 pm

Jason2 wrote:
    Marshal Bombast wrote:

One of the advantages of playing Scotland, New Years Eve is THE holiday...and we all know when that is Wink

Christmas Day is really just another working day with an extra Church service..and a bit too Papist for Good Presbyterians Very Happy  

There was me thinking it was a day off to chase the Haggi twins?
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:39 pm

[quote="Marshal Bombast"]
    Jason2 wrote:
    Marshal Bombast wrote:

There was me thinking it was a day off to chase the Haggi twins?[/quote

Oh, no, December-mid January is closed season for Haggi hunting, as laid down by the ancient laws of Calcagus
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:58 am

Rather a shame we face a good delay for the latest turn. Always interesting to see how much income we have achieved. December is always the best month.
    Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Marshal Bombast Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:21 am

jamesbond007 wrote:Rather a shame we face a good delay for the  latest turn. Always interesting to see how much income we have achieved. December is always the best month.

Yea, but glad Richard's family's ok and nice to receive the update so we don't worry about him.

December's good. Am I the only one who's usually planned what you want to do in coming year and December says whether we can afford it lol?

Then delays to plans hit as the world moves on and requires some sort of reaction. Love this game for keeping me on my toes Very Happy
    Jason2
    Jason2
    King
    King

Post by Jason2 Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:57 pm

Marshal Bombast wrote:
    jamesbond007 wrote:Rather a shame we face a good delay for the  latest turn. Always interesting to see how much income we have achieved. December is always the best month.

Yea, but glad Richard's family's ok and nice to receive the update so we don't worry about him.

December's good. Am I the only one who's usually planned what you want to do in coming year and December says whether we can afford it lol?

Then delays to plans hit as the world moves on and requires some sort of reaction. Love this game for keeping me on my toes Very Happy

Oh, I have multi-year plans so December of each year is really significant for me Very Happy if nothing else just to show how badly I've fallen short of my targets Very Happy

As to the delay, I was simply pleased to hear Richard and his family were safe and if what he's put up with is anything like the last few days in Aberdeenshire, a delay before we get the next game turn is something I have no issues with
    Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Marshal Bombast Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:41 pm

The turn arrived earlier today with a new King on top of the Honour Table, switching places with the King of Poland. Wonder what they’ve both been up to.

1. In some respects, a lot of predictable newspaper reports with Christmas being celebrated too early and armies going home.

2. For a united team position the Maritime powers responses to the Danish impounding of a Dutch and Scottish ship couldn’t be more disjointed. England – we’re friends, Dutch - explain yourself, and Scotland – You’re no friend of mine! Not sure how the Danish foreign ministry’s going to work that one out given Christmas hangovers.

3. Versailles returned to French control but in a worse for wear state. While Flanders-Brabant was handed over to the Dutch, minus a few French civilian casualties.

Scotland offered their parolee guests the opportunity to work in Scotland but were refused as Scottish hospitality wasn’t as good as it could have been. As they were now free due to the war being over they left as soon as they could find passage.

4. The River Elbe burst its banks flooding parts of Saxony.

5. King Frederick of Denmark confused the sailors from the impounded ships as he feasted with them, so much that they forgot who they were speaking to. When the Scottish Ambassador was trying to get his point across one impounded sailor sided with His Majesty.

Still at least the ships were able to get underway again, which will please the printers as they must have run out of capital letter blocks reporting on what Lord Melville had to say to the Danish Ambassador in Edinburgh! Danes now pay 20% taxes in Scotland.

The Scottish Ambassador to the Rozwi was seen as a threat by the Changamire’s guard when he started waving a claymore around. At least he got away with his life this time.

6. Prince Charles of Denmark appears to be getting over his health issues in Dresden, must be the encouragement to join in and dance. A case of what doesn’t kill you cures you?

7. King John V of Portugal’s pious nature is coming out by housing 50 nuns in his palace. Perhaps trying to offset Portugal’s slave trade investments in the Divine Ledger, given Spain says her policy to end slavery has papal backing.

Brazil saw 2 Spanish recruiting posts shut down.

8. Further to England’s response to Danish impounding of merchant ships for not paying sound dues, England was asking for Danish advice on how they might charge English Channel dues on shipping.

9. Malmo saw the announcement of a change in calendar to make more out of the poor. Not sure from way it reads whether Sweden has a new player but welcome if so.

10. Genoa’s convinced they’ve caught a spy, just not sure who he’s spying for and after intervention from Spain the spy was exiled. Probably in part to make room in the Genoan gaol for another spy they’ve caught. Apologies for not welcoming the Genoan player before, but welcome to the game.

11. Spezia seems to be getting a lot of Spanish heavy guns delivered. While in Mantua, Tuscany decided not to arm the local population just in case.

12. Venice managed to track down a pre-eminent scientist, skilled in optical instruments to head up their academy.

13. Constantinople saw the Sultan’s meeting with his Eyalet’s result in 2 edicts. One preventing unlicensed recruiting and the other setting trade taxes and minimum trade investments.

The Sultan put further sound financial processes in place with the appointment of a Rumelian Treasurer in Sofia.

14. Quito has made a plea for cash to help them with their quest for independence from Spanish rule.

15. The Akanthene left Kumasi to join his Great Army, leaving behind the granary which burned to the ground.

The entire Ashanti Coastal Fishing Fleet disappeared, possibly due to apprentices not liking being told what to do?

16. 10 empty Dutch ships arrived in Kowloon which immediately raised Chinese suspicions.

China also opened an army camp in Dutch owned Macao

17. Japan has cornered the Far East market in alcoholic drinks, while the new shogun has reversed the previous incumbent’s edict about recruits. If it’s you Count then glad you’re still with us, but welcome to a new Japan player if that’s the case instead.

18. Not much change on the trade tables this month, but we’ll see what happens next month.

Hapsburg, Jason2 and Michael0 like this post

count-de-monet
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 379
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by count-de-monet Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:01 am

with apologies to friends and allies in the Game I can confirm I am no longer leading Japan. While making it a super rich position everything else was a struggle and I took the cowards way out after so many years of trying to make it work.

So, Japan could have a new player and this is to encourage a warm welcome to whoever that is from the player base. It can feel a hard isolated position. The game has a great base of players and I am sure he will do a much better job than me
    Hapsburg
    Viscount
    Viscount

Post by Hapsburg Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:30 pm

with apologies to friends and allies in the Game I can confirm I am no longer leading Japan. While making it a super rich position everything else was a struggle and I took the cowards way out after so many years of trying to make it work.

So, Japan could have a new player and this is to encourage a warm welcome to whoever that is from the player base. It can feel a hard isolated position. The game has a great base of players and I am sure he will do a much better job than me

Good luck with the rest of your games. I thought Japan would be a difficult position to play and require a great deal of research.
    Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Marshal Bombast Wed Nov 01, 2023 5:32 pm

count-de-monet wrote:with apologies to friends and allies in the Game I can confirm I am no longer leading Japan.  While making it a super rich position everything else was a struggle and I took the cowards way out after so many years of trying to make it work.  

So, Japan could have a new player and this is to encourage a warm welcome to whoever that is from the player base.  It can feel a hard isolated position.  The game has a great base of players and I am sure he will do a much better job than me

Sorry to see you've dropped Japan Count. It's not a cowards way out, from our letters you've tried to make it work and there reaches a point to ask whether keep paying for it or go for something else, game related or not. Poland dropped previously in G10 for similar reasons, but I think that's partly the 18th century inertia.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 3:08 pm