Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+27
Goldstar
mmcdhoward
HaroldB
Bearlord
MarkTurner26
one grain of grain
J Flower
Stuart Bailey
Mustang Shooting Stars
Basileus
The Hessian
Flanker79
baggins
Hammer of God
The Little Corporal
tek_604
jamesbond007
Moshe
Richard D. Watts
revvaughan
the great unwashed
Ardagor
count-de-monet
Deacon
Marshal Bombast
Kingmaker
Frank
31 posters

Game 8

jamesbond007
    King
    King

Number of posts : 621
    Registration date : 2009-04-07

Game 8 - Page 32 Empty Re: Game 8

Post by jamesbond007 Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:26 pm

I would not call game 8 very peaceful for me. As the Moghul i have so far taken over, by conflict. 8 towns. With more currently in battle.

Post by Guest Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:13 pm

Ahhh, but you're a key part of what makes G8 so interesting. The action isn't in Europe and doesn't involve the European nations Smile
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:11 am

The game needs a strong united Moghul India.
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Number of posts : 661
    Registration date : 2015-08-15

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:32 pm

Please Mister "Danish-Norwegian Government", can I pop along to Greenland to further my Swashbuckler adventure?

I promise to be good ... And if anything naughty happens and I end up before a judge, 'I was only following orders'. Laughing
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 489
    Registration date : 2008-08-03

Post by The Revenant Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:48 pm

Jason wrote:Ahhh, but you're a key part of what makes G8 so interesting.  The action isn't in Europe and doesn't involve the European nations Smile  
    !!!

Hmm, the more I read the more Games 9 and 10 seem to have the edge in interest!

Post by Guest Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:49 pm

Tom Blakeney wrote:
    Jason wrote:Ahhh, but you're a key part of what makes G8 so interesting.  The action isn't in Europe and doesn't involve the European nations Smile  
     !!!

Hmm, the more I read the more Games 9 and 10 seem to have the edge in interest!

They do but what I like about G8 is the fact that a lot of the action is outside Europe and that appeals to me. India is seizing his smaller neighbours, Kwantung has invaded Brunei...
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2571
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:28 pm

Its odd how various games seem to to be dominated by the events in various geographic area's which hardly seem to get a mention in other games.

Think this is often triggered by a couple of key positions which have very different policy options options open to them such as does the Czar focus on the Baltic or the Black Sea? And is the Shah of Persia a "Westerner" or a "Easterner". But sometimes its just a generally NPC position being active. Remarkable how a active Cossack or Jacobite can shift the focus of the game.

Have not seen the following options in play but think it might be fun to see what happens if:

a) Instead of heading for the sea the Russians headed East? Could you see Cossacks in the Streets of Kubal & the rebuilding of the Great Khan's from Empire from West to East? And the Great Game kicking off 150 years early perhaps with agents and even troops from India, Persia & China trying to prop up the central Asian Khanates.

b) An all out Ottoman Advance in Africa and the Indian Ocean.

c) The parts of the Polish Commonwealth were active and co-operated.

d) Swedes & Ottomans used a bit of 20/20 hindsight and both attacked the Russians.

Anyone else got an favour campaigns (either historic or what if?) they would like to see?

Post by Guest Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:42 pm

An interesting question Smile

I've always wanted to see a game where China can dominate the Far East, not necessarily via conquest but diplomatic pressure...and with a series of heavily armed outposts creating a barrier to Western expansion.  To work though it would require most if not all Chinese positions to be occupied and working well together.

An Indian Mutiny-like situation, perhaps led by the Great Moghul, to drive the Europeans from their colonies.

Some sort of attempt at Italian Unification has always appealed.  Would be difficult but might be possible in a Spanish Succession War?

And just generally, more in Africa, think that gets ignored in-game
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:38 pm

My wish is just to see one super populated game. It won't happen because there aren't enough incentives for the players to all stick around, but I would love the chaos and contention if a lot of the positions were in play.

I think a lot of game dynamics end up being driven more by what positions are in play than anything else.
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:15 am

Maybe creating a game aimed at being "super populated" would be helped by giving it a special name, etc.

La Gloire du Roi - Premium Elite

Or such like.

The game featuring such things as the Economic Report, league tables for such things as Most Beautiful City / Country with Highest Culture Score / Scientific Breakthroughs / Explorations ... etc. Fair enough all of those are peaceful 'empire builder' type goals, but would be accessible to all nations regardless of abilities and starting knowledge.

Only downside to such an idea, of mine, would be cost to play would be higher and would mean more work for the GM and players. Which would effect the other TGOK, SW, Scramble, Space Opera, the Roman game, and all the tabletop gaming rules produced - for the GM and players. Maybe La Gloire du Roi - Premium Elite would be a non-starter.
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:42 am

Rozwi_Game10 wrote:Maybe creating a game aimed at being "super populated" would be helped by giving it a special name, etc.

La Gloire du Roi - Premium Elite

Or such like.

The game featuring such things as the Economic Report, league tables for such things as Most Beautiful City / Country with Highest Culture Score / Scientific Breakthroughs / Explorations ... etc. Fair enough all of those are peaceful 'empire builder' type goals, but would be accessible to all nations regardless of abilities and starting knowledge.

Only downside to such an idea, of mine, would be cost to play would be higher and would mean more work for the GM and players. Which would effect the other TGOK, SW, Scramble, Space Opera, the Roman game, and all the tabletop gaming rules produced - for the GM and players. Maybe La Gloire du Roi - Premium Elite would be a non-starter.

I am sure if Richard could produce a super populated game he would. The above game as you describe would probably cost £20 a turn. Due to the work. Not many would be willing to pay that. You also totally dismiss the game for war gamers. That would put many off. No way it could work.

Last edited by jamesbond007 on Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling error.)
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:04 pm

Apologies, I only mentioned those criteria for league tables as they would be accessible to both empire builder and war gamer players. Infrastructure, Religious happiness, Cultural effects, etc, being a commodity that could be counted and ranked against any other playing position. In some ways those listed here aren't excluded from a military approach, as successful invasions provide opportunities for more infrastructure, money, and culture rating would increase with assimilated peoples adopting the conquering peoples practices over the years. Obviously there'd be military aspects that could be ranked - though off the top of my head I can't think of any. Though captured foreign treasures, architecture rehoused, etc. would all add to beautiful city and cultural scores
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:25 pm

Rozwi,

Great idea in theroy. But will and could never happen for two reasons.

Never enough players to fill all or nearly all positions and the cost and work would be far too much to be successful.
    MarkTurner26
    MarkTurner26
    Marquess
    Marquess

Number of posts : 260
    Registration date : 2012-11-03

Post by MarkTurner26 Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:31 pm

Morning, Afternoon and Evening All!

Having just returned to the throng especially returning to Game 8, when was the next turn due in so I can guesstimate when I might receive my first turn. Plus its great to be back! cheers
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:35 pm

The due date was the 22nd. Richard has been running late for a while, so it is likely 2 weeks to process. Said he thought it would get better in the near future.

Last edited by Deacon on Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
    MarkTurner26
    MarkTurner26
    Marquess
    Marquess

Post by MarkTurner26 Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:39 pm

Thanks mate! I look forward to my turn with great anticipation.
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:37 am

Good to see there looks to be a good amount of players in game 8. Even in India and China positions are taken.

Never played the Ottomans. But if I ever did, ruling the Ottoman world would be a priority. They would be a match for anybody if a player could rule the Ottoman nations. Cannot remember it being achieved though.
    Ardagor
    Ardagor
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 427
    Registration date : 2008-04-20

Post by Ardagor Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:49 pm

Even in China? China is the Center of the world of course.
    jamesbond007
    King
    King

Post by jamesbond007 Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:09 pm

Ardagor wrote:Even in China? China is the Center of the world of course.

It's great China is alive in game 8. Much of the time China is inactive after the original burst. I think the games need activety in Asia and the Far East.
    The Revenant
    The Revenant
    Prince
    Prince

Number of posts : 489
    Registration date : 2008-08-03

Post by The Revenant Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:22 pm

MarkTurner26 wrote:Morning, Afternoon and Evening All!

Having just returned to the throng especially returning to Game 8, when was the next turn due in so I can guesstimate when I might receive my first turn. Plus its great to be back! cheers

Oh great, just what we need, even more elbows at the table... (But actually, welcome back!)
    MarkTurner26
    MarkTurner26
    Marquess
    Marquess

Post by MarkTurner26 Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:08 pm

jamesbond007 wrote:Good to see there looks to be a good amount of players in game 8. Even in India and China positions are taken.

Never played the Ottomans. But if I ever did, ruling the Ottoman world would be a priority. They would be a match for anybody if a player could rule the Ottoman nations. Cannot remember it being achieved though.

Other than Mr Bailey in Game 2 with his Ottoman Rumelians I don't know of any.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:08 am

In game 8, at least 3 ottoman positions are in play. Anatolia, Egypt and Rumelia are all active. Syria was at one point, but haven't seen anything from them in a while. May still be active, just quiet.

I think it will be interesting to see what the Ottomans do with Anatolia back in play. Expanding into north Africa is a real option.
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:01 pm

Oddly in G2 the Ottomans were not at peak after a nasty civil war between Rumelia and back stabbing scum bag Jannissary NPC's and allies left the Empire fully united under a Rumelian Sultan (and what was left of the Jannissary corp sold to Hanover).

But at a prior period when a PC Anatolian Sultan had the full support of a PC Rumelian Grand Vizier and a PC Bey of Egypt.

If the Ottoman players co-operate and say nice things about each other it seems to do everyone a great deal of good in terms of both honour and economic health. Also shared R & D benefits everyone.

If I recall correctly in G2 the Ottomans actually managed to occupy three out of the top six or seven honour positions and also occupied three out of the top ten economic positions as well.

The only slight problem with this amount of activity was that it seemed to bring out a degree of anti Ottoman paranioa in some players.

I remain convinced to this day that some Agema newspapers are anti Ottoman rags and some positions gain really cheap honour points by saying nasty things about Ottomans.Sad

Along with getting rid of Venice, Malta and slogging up the Danube to free Hungary from the Hapsburg yoke (a Rumelia centric policy) I think it would be interesting to see what happens if the Ottomans build up in Basra/Red sea (perhaps with a Suez canal) and expand in the Indian Ocean/East Africa (a Egypt/Syrian centric policy) or go for an alliance with Sweden and the Sunni Khanates of central asia to stop Russia in its tracks and try and fight their way back to the Central Asian Turkish Motherland.
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:27 pm

Well, the Battle of Vienna is just 17 years in the past at game start! Think about that. It's like the blitz happened in 1999! I can imagine a lot would not be forgiven in lots of central and eastern europe.

In that world, saying nasty things about people your people hate is likely to be cheap and easy honour points. On the downside, if you say it often, your people are going to start to expect you to do something about it.

Given how monumental that battle was, I am not surprised that most games have shied away from a repeat.

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:15 am

Deacon wrote:
    Well, the Battle of Vienna is just 17 years in the past at game start! Think about that. It's like the blitz happened in 1999! I can imagine a lot would not be forgiven in lots of central and eastern europe.

In that world, saying nasty things about people your people hate is likely to be cheap and easy honour points. On the downside, if you say it often, your people are going to start to expect you to do something about it.

Given how monumental that battle was, I am not surprised that most games have shied away from a repeat.

In G2 we (the Ottomans) broke the Winged Hassars in huge cavalry battle on the Moldovian/Polish border and later killed a King of Poland in a ambush.

Rumelia also reclaimed Transylvannia for the Empire, put a pro Ottoman on the Throne of Hungary and after the destruction of two Austrian armies fired the head of a Archduke of Austria over the walls of Vienna.

Vienna itself fell a few years later & 1683 was fully avenged.

Think its perfectly possible for Ottomans to turn things around in game.......consider that historically in 1711 they forced Peter the Great and a Russian Army to surrender.

But I dont think its possible to do it against all foes at the same time (at start of game you have just finished a war with Venice, Austria & Russia which did not go well) or in one campaign since most foes are basically better at battles than Ottomans..... so for Ottoman leaders who want to end the military decline of the Ottoman Empire I suggest you do it very slowly, grinding down foe's with raids and economic warfare rather than risking large open field battles.

Plus its key to sign lots of different non aggression pacts and align your military campaigns other events. As mentioned above the game starts in 1700 with Austria, Russia & Venice allied against you but if you write some nice friendly letters about trade etc its more than likely that the Austrians will sign a non aggression pact so they can focus on events in Spain or the Russians will sign one so they can start the Great Northern War.........and in a couple of Pen strokes you are free to start the liberation of Hellas from the papist yoke of Venice:D (provided the Persians or the Janissary Corp dont stab you in the back)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 5:13 am