Agema Publications

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Agema Publications

A forum for the disscussion of the Play by Mail games from Agema Publications

+23
one grain of grain
sammon
Thelittleemperor
Admin
Hapsburg
Goldstar
Nexus06
Verming2
Ardagor
Verming
The Revenant
revvaughan
jamesbond007
Kingmaker
Rozwi_Game10
Stuart Bailey
J Flower
Bearlord
Basileus
Deacon
the great unwashed
coffeedog14
MarkTurner26
27 posters

Game 10

Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2568
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Game 10 - Page 32 Empty Re: Game 10

Post by Stuart Bailey Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:01 pm

count-de-monet wrote:after a really hard and troublesome start as Japan, I just secured a rice surplus of 50 million tons ! and that's excluding the traitorous Matsumae Clan who I have been informed have benefited immensely from the Bakufu agricultural investments on the island of Ezicho (thieving back-stabbing gits)

If the Matsumae are as bad as you say any chance of some proper Wako in G10? Very Happy

PS Any suggestion that the French Corsairs are feeling a bit lonely and looking for someone else to blame will be sued for slander in French Courts (The best justice that money can buy)

Post by Guest Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:05 am

J Flower wrote:Small sucess for UDP managed to avoid a famine for first time since game start.

Although I had no famine, still no extra grain appeared on turn sheet, is this normal? Or do you only get allocation when you enjoy a surplus?

My understanding is

Good harvest = surplus grain
    "Normal" harvest = no surplus but also no shortfall (unless you have hardy grain, in which case also surplus grain)
    Poor harvest = shortfall of grain

Post by Guest Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:45 pm

Rozwi_Game10 wrote:A Metropolitan Police Force...in London...and the English people are tolerant of such a 'Bonapartist' tool? affraid

Have just read the new turn's newspaper and that is the piece of information that shocks me the most. I am interested to know if its just a grand title for the Town Watch? Or is a properly invented and established police constabulary? Either way, I'm quite surprised that the in-game London population (commoners and the well-off) hasn't rioted at such, given the historic feelings towards the eventual creation of such a force in the 1800s.  

I have seen claims that the only place in GB that had what we would consider a 'police force' (if you exclude things like the London Night Watchmen) at the time of the Act of Union was Edinburgh with its "Town Guard" (or sometimes "City Guard")...whether that says ye olde Edinburgh Council was concerned for the well-being of the city's residents...or that Edinburgh had a level of lawlessness unheard-of elsewhere...well I'll let you decide Wink

I may be about to get this next bit wrong, I think believe the first time a "Police Force" was formed in GB (in that it included the word "Police" in is title) was when the "Thames River Police" was formed in the late 1790s (the Bow Street Runners were never officially called "police")
    Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Number of posts : 366
    Registration date : 2009-01-23

Post by Marshal Bombast Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:49 pm

Jason wrote:
    J Flower wrote:Small sucess for UDP managed to avoid a famine for first time since game start.

Although I had no famine, still no extra grain appeared on turn sheet, is this normal? Or do you only get allocation when you enjoy a surplus?

My understanding is

"Normal" harvest = no surplus but also no shortfall (unless you have hardy grain, in which case also surplus grain)

There is also catastrophic crop failure (Book of Revelations page 17) where you have so little grain it affects the seed grain available for planting for next season. You can take seed grain during a shortage to help stave off famine that year but is has a huge hit on grain available the follow year/s.

Post by Guest Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:06 pm

Marshal Bombast wrote:
    Jason wrote:

My understanding is

There is also catastrophic crop failure (Book of Revelations page 17) where you have so little grain it affects the seed grain available for planting for next season.  You can take seed grain during a shortage to help stave off famine that year but is has a huge hit on grain available the follow year/s.

Thanks Marshal, yes had completely forgot that one Smile

Hopefully no one has suffered that this year!
    Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Marshal Bombast Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:04 pm

Jason wrote:
    Marshal Bombast wrote:
    Jason wrote:

My understanding is

There is also catastrophic crop failure (Book of Revelations page 17) where you have so little grain it affects the seed grain available for planting for next season.  You can take seed grain during a shortage to help stave off famine that year but is has a huge hit on grain available the follow year/s.

Thanks Marshal, yes had completely forgot that one Smile

Hopefully no one has suffered that this year!

I have not heard of it happening in my years of playing and only came across it again and remembered it due to recent events in Russia. Still it keeps us on our toes eh bom

Post by Guest Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:08 pm

Stuart Bailey wrote:
    count-de-monet wrote:after a really hard and troublesome start as Japan, I just secured a rice surplus of 50 million tons ! and that's excluding the traitorous Matsumae Clan who I have been informed have benefited immensely from the Bakufu agricultural investments on the island of Ezicho (thieving back-stabbing gits)

If the Matsumae are as bad as you say any chance of some proper Wako in G10? Very Happy

PS Any suggestion that the French Corsairs are feeling a bit lonely and looking for someone else to blame will be sued for slander in French Courts (The best justice that money can buy)

Problem is Stuart after posts like this is all I can think of is the band "Alestorm"...

In which case, I have a space reserved for you on Grassmarket...
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Number of posts : 661
    Registration date : 2015-08-15

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:50 pm

Yeah, how Jason has summarised the grain is my understanding too.

Thankfully Rozwi is okay this year - I did invest in fishing and hunting, however, just in case - but see that Portugal has been hit again. I will ask the player in-game, but does anyone on the forum know if the harvest failure will also effect Portugal's colonies? As Rozwi could possibly help out Portuguese East Africa, and help ourselves in turn.
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1239
    Registration date : 2012-02-16

Post by J Flower Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:42 am

I think that the famine only effects the core home provinces & that the colonies are uneffected, also beleive that colonies can get a surplus whist the Motherland suffers a famine.
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:53 pm

Righto. Never been in a position with colonies during a harvest results turn, so its all new information to me. Cheers.

Maybe the idea of Joint Farming Co-Operatives need to be brought up during an East Africa Summit Talks (ooh, now there's a way to boost my Honour score!). Rozwi benefits from harvest protection and Holland/Scotland/Portugal can ship the stuff home in granary ships.
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Thu May 24, 2018 10:59 am

July 1702. And my thoughts on Game 10 are all on 'The War That Isn't'. Or, to give it its proper name, the we've-just-discovered-the-Ovambo-have-50,000-spearmen-and-we've-only-got-16,000-Rozwi-in-the-area war.

We also now know what the Ovambo's battle tactics are: "They are armed with spears, and tactically rely on charging forward
    and attacking, relying on their combat prowess rather than any sophisticated tactics."

In other news, Rozwi has discovered how to make fishing dhows! But can't afford to build a ship yard. Doh!

Post by Guest Thu May 24, 2018 1:25 pm

Well, you're only outnumbered 3-1 so a chance for a glorious victory against the odds Wink

This turn I am mostly learning whale meat costs a lot of money
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Number of posts : 1859
    Registration date : 2010-04-13

Post by Deacon Thu May 24, 2018 4:20 pm

Catastrophic harvest failure is a thing.

On another thread we mentioned saxony in game 9 that I picked up for a couple of months. total population had HALVED after 2 famines.

Some people may find that fun, but neither the poor player before me, nor I did. The economy was also so shattered that I couldn't collect taxes without trashing the EH of the country, so no population, and no money.

It would take decades of work to just get the position back to where you started.

I have a great deal of sympathy for those dealing with harvest failures.
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:02 pm

Just emailed in my next turn. Here's hoping for a jump up the Honour table. This time next year Changamire Dombo will be number one!
    (not that I've previously boasted that I'd be number one before the end of 1702. ahem  Suspect )
    Stuart Bailey
    Emperor of Europe
    Emperor of Europe

Number of posts : 2568
    Registration date : 2012-01-29

Post by Stuart Bailey Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:16 pm

Rozwi_Game10 wrote:Just emailed in my next turn. Here's hoping for a jump up the Honour table. This time next year Changamire Dombo will be number one!
    (not that I've previously boasted that I'd be number one before the end of 1702. ahem  Suspect )

If people are running a sweep stake on who will top the honour table in a couple of years time and if the Changamire will be number one I think possible alternatives include:

- The Steward of Poland, having rallied Cossacks & Noble Hussars he will crusade at the head of his Paladins to end Tarter Slave raiding into the Commonwealth and free thousands of Christain's from the hell of Ottoman Slavery. Resulting in him being hailed a living Saint by Catholic's and Othodox alike.

- The Lord President of Scotland will take on Mad Mac MacDonald in a drinking contest and drink him under the table.

- The Doge of Genoa will convince Philip of Anjou to make him first minister of Bourbon Spain and in a diplomatic, social and military tour de force he will slam the gates of Naples in the face of the Austrians to protect the fair maids of Naples from German Pox and acting as the champion of a united Spain will convince the x5 Spanish Cortez, Spanish Army/Navy and the various Viceroy to unite behind Philip and his new first minister. With much of his success due to his unmatched charm & popularity with the Ladies of Spain etc
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:04 am

I have to admit that I'm only chasing Honour as it's bringing in huge amounts of cash that is shoring up the Rozwi treasury. I'm not fixated on the Honour leader-board thingy.

I'm crap when it comes to trade investments and the economy in TGOK, and Rozwi is never going to be a commercially rich nation anyway. So Personal Wealth is the only way I can guarantee money each year Sad

I can't even ask for hand-outs from European nations, unless I melt down the coins and re-mint them as Ashrafis (does Rozwi even have the means to mint their own coins?!).
    Thelittleemperor
    Lord
    Lord

Number of posts : 71
    Registration date : 2017-01-28

Post by Thelittleemperor Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:47 pm

This time next year Changamire Dombo will be number one!

This time next year Rodney , we'll be millionaires ...luvvly jubbly
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:02 pm

Given the Rowzi historic control of gold mining in the area, I think you're selling yourself short on the wealthy idea.
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:53 pm

Yeah... The Great Zimbabwe civilisation managed to make themselves fabulously rich through trade, I've heard. Some't 'll come along.
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:11 am

Looks like the French plan is eventually revealed, put Philip on the throne of Spain & split up the Empire of Spain between his friends & courtly followers so that Genoa, Savoy & The Corsairs all get a slice of the Cake. Looks like a multiplayer position is about to take over the largest position in the game. Will it mean the peace conference in Rome ends in friendly handshake, exchange of address & a couple of beers down the local pub?

Wonder if the Kaiser will regret not having been a part of it all? Afterall giving up the most powerful Empire in the world to your number one rival isn't something you get a chance to do every day.

Will this also now mean Philip will stop attacking the shipping of his adoptive country.

Looks as if the entire Tuscan Navy has been sunk in a single turn by French flagged ships.

Also seems an arsonist is doing the rounds in Western Europe, seems to be targeting taxmen & sharebrokers, so maybe he is on a mission from God to rid the world of evil!

Seems Scotish members of Parliament are getting a bit miffed about sending their Haggis herds to help eleviate the famine in England, maybe they should reveal the secret research development of the deep fried Mars bar.

Post by Guest Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:09 pm

We will never give up the secret to the deep-fried mars bar...never, I tell you...NEVER

You may take our lives but you will never take our deep fried chocolate bars!!!!!
    J Flower
    J Flower
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by J Flower Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:35 am

May seem an odd thing to do on the forum, but I am actually going to say that I think the French faction with all its various members in Italy & beyond, have actually to date played a very savvy game. They are definatly way ahead of their closet rivals. Well done Gentlemen, I salute you for playing a good hand.
    Rozwi_Game10
    Rozwi_Game10
    King
    King

Post by Rozwi_Game10 Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:38 am

Yep, I was thinking the same thing last night.
    Marshal Bombast
    Marshal Bombast
    Duke
    Duke

Post by Marshal Bombast Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:28 pm

J Flower wrote:May seem an odd thing to do on the forum, but I am actually going to say that I think the French faction with all its various members in Italy & beyond, have actually to date played a very savvy game. They are definatly way ahead of their closet rivals. Well done Gentlemen, I salute you for playing a good hand.

Agreed Smile
    Deacon
    Deacon
    Emperor
    Emperor

Post by Deacon Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:07 am

Until you rake the pot, the hand isn't over.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 11:18 am